Narrowing a Jigmaster 500 to a 501

Started by festus, April 08, 2020, 09:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Is it possible to narrow a 500 to a 501 by using the stand and posts from either a Baymaster 180 or a Monofil 27 and adding a 29L-501 spool?

Ron Jones

I've done it several times. Great little reel except you loose the reel clamp.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

you'd need to use the posts and not bars like newells,the hole pattern is different
Do what you can with that you have where you are

festus

Thanks Ron and Sheridan.  Comparing parts lists I thought so.  I still have a Monofil 27 disassembled and cleaned and thought maybe the stand and posts would Frankenreel a 501.

I suppose a Jigmaster 500S would convert into a 501?

mo65

Quote from: festus on April 08, 2020, 09:01:50 PM
Is it possible to narrow a 500 to a 501 by using the stand and posts from either a Baymaster 180 or a Monofil 27 and adding a 29L-501 spool?

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 08, 2020, 09:08:46 PM
The Man

Hey Chester, if you think you'll need the reel clamp I have this #30-49 stand. It's a little rashed, probably not good for a shelfie.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on April 08, 2020, 09:50:21 PM
Quote from: festus on April 08, 2020, 09:01:50 PM

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 08, 2020, 09:08:46 PM
The Man

Hey Chester, if you think you'll need the reel clamp I have this #30-49 stand. It's a little rashed, probably not good for a shelfie.  
Thanks anyway, Michael, but for what l'll use the reel for in fresh water it's doubtful I'll ever need a reel clamp. This will be a future project, first I'll have to find the proper spool.

thorhammer

Hey Chester, what you are doing can easily be done, and I prefer 500S as donors- they almost always (all I have seen) have steel mains and chromed innards. 501 spools are treasured tho. If you are using the S, you might purchase a red one from Chui. His spools are fantastic. Red spools in the S look great.

Swami805

Nice one John, love the red clamp! Looks like it belongs on a fire engine
Do what you can with that you have where you are

thorhammer

Thanks Sheridan! Clamp, base, arm all from Ted, knob from Chui. I have a red shifter for it as well.

Chester, let me know if you need anything- if I have anything I will send it on N/C.

John

RowdyW

John, the T bar knob looks like the one from fishincomfort on ebay not the type from Alan C.        Rudy   

festus

Quote from: thorhammer on April 09, 2020, 01:25:38 PM
Hey Chester, what you are doing can easily be done, and I prefer 500S as donors- they almost always (all I have seen) have steel mains and chromed innards. 501 spools are treasured tho. If you are using the S, you might purchase a red one from Chui. His spools are fantastic. Red spools in the S look great.
That is one good looking Jigmaster!

I decided to go ahead and get a jumpstart on this project.

Photo 1 is one of my Monofil 27 on the left and the Jigmaster 500S on the right.  I didn't sacrifice this Monofil, already had one taken apart and cleaned stashed away in a big piece of Tupperware.

Photo 2 and photo 3 are the results of transplanting the Monofil 27 stand and posts onto the Jiggy.  I also added a stock handle and drag star from a Penn 309.

Everything fastened together with no problem as I expected. Now all I need is a spool.  Thorhammer, is that the Chui model in the last pic?  I found that Mystic sells those for about 50 bucks.

thorhammer

Yessir, ProChallenger is Alan Chui's brand and Mystic carries them.

vilters

looks good festus. clean reel. i like the 500s jigmasters. good internals as said, and i feel the sideplate material is better quality with a nice red color. i have a few myself.

mo65

Holy Buckets!! Just look at that thing...and tell me why Penn never made a 501S? That's going to be a sweetie Chester!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !