Never Before Seen (Until Now) Penn Prototype!

Started by Spyderman, April 10, 2020, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Cooool! The pot lids, are they the spool flanges or the side-plate rings, or both?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

The Phillips Head Screws are interesting --

Unless the head-plate was removed so we reel mechanics could see details -- it is not going to convince.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

It cannot be real. The shift lever is at 11oclock, and gear train is at 7 oclock. This leaves no place for internal components to fit. Definitely a phony
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

The reel isn't that big, it's just a really small can of soup, table and chair
Do what you can with that you have where you are

conchydong

Is it April fools month?
Neat conversation piece anyway as it got a lot of people stirred up.
Al Capone's safe? Geraldo would have said something about that as he is a boater and possible fishermen.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2020, 06:04:26 PM

It cannot be real. The shift lever is at 11oclock, and gear train is at 5oclock. This leaves no place for internal components to fit. Definitely a phony

I have no where the knowledge of Penn reels that most of you have but this reel does have several things going on that dont jive with a Penn reel, prototype or what ever . Especially when Penn had on hand better dimensioned stock to build such a reel of this size. The spool for instance had a lot of time spent on it for it to not fit.

Oooops I answered my own prior question... Jeff

Cuttyhunker

Doomed from childhood

Cor

Quote from: wfjord on April 10, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
The rings, posts, and stand have a white appearance kinda like brushed aluminum.  Something about the stand looks like it was made from a chunk of aluminum, but maybe just my imagination. Pretty big gap between the spool & rings.  I'll look forward to hearing what the experts here have to say.
I am no Penn expert other then having fished them 50 years back and It does not look "right" to me.
The screws in the posts look too small & not countersunk and I've never seen Phillips heads.
You can see machining marks on the foot and also handle.
Sideplates....na!

Does not change the fact that it is interesting.

I am also waiting for one of the experts to comment.

Cornelis

ReelFishingProblems

Spyderman,

Cool display and fun story.
Some good craftsmanship there, and clearly too much time, but you know what they say about idle hands.

Sharkb8

Did you make that cool  looking reel the side plates are made out of wood

Kim

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Maxed Out

It doesn't take an "expert" to see that this reel is an oxy-moron.

The eccentric should be straight up from the bridge. Take a look, if the eccentric was way off kilter like this 50/0, the Jack could not function at all. I laid a jack on this Penn to give a visual of where the jack would be on this 50/0. Sorry to pop everyones bubble. We know it has no internals

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reeltyme

A great piece any way you look at it. My best guess based on using your photos, is that it measures about 8 3/4" high and 7" wide across the plates and spool. A true big boy. On looking at the seat, the thickness of the foot would require a special built rod seat to accept the reel. That would never fit on any rod seat I ever saw. There are no harness rings or rod harness rings either. I can assume that the Philip head screws are replacements during the restoration process or building process?

Spyderman

Quote from: Gfish on April 10, 2020, 05:24:47 PM
Cooool! The pot lids, are they the spool flanges or the side-plate rings, or both?

The spool flanges.

Spyderman

Quote from: Swami805 on April 10, 2020, 06:12:18 PM
The reel isn't that big, it's just a really small can of soup, table and chair

You've figured it out, I didn't build the reel, I built the small can of soup, table and the chair.  ;)