Never Before Seen (Until Now) Penn Prototype!

Started by Spyderman, April 10, 2020, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on April 10, 2020, 07:09:05 PM
Cool gizmo, but no lugs.

As soon as I can get to Home Depot, it'll receive sets of lugs.  ;)

Spyderman

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 10, 2020, 07:51:23 PM
Spyderman,

Cool display and fun story.
Some good craftsmanship there, and clearly too much time, but you know what they say about idle hands.

Thanks!  Some of the brethren have clearly understood that this was an exercise in fantasy and time management.  Others ... I'm no so certain ...  ::)

ReelFishingProblems

Spyderman

Quote from: Cor on April 10, 2020, 07:43:56 PM
Quote from: wfjord on April 10, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
The rings, posts, and stand have a white appearance kinda like brushed aluminum.  Something about the stand looks like it was made from a chunk of aluminum, but maybe just my imagination. Pretty big gap between the spool & rings.  I'll look forward to hearing what the experts here have to say.
I am no Penn expert other then having fished them 50 years back and It does not look "right" to me.
The screws in the posts look too small & not countersunk and I've never seen Phillips heads.
You can see machining marks on the foot and also handle.
Sideplates....na!

Does not change the fact that it is interesting.

I am also waiting for one of the experts to comment.

I wouldn't hold my breath, unless they have a vivid imagination, and want to add to the fiction ...  :D

ReelFishingProblems

I for one want to believe.
Now that you have the sample, start building a working one.

We all have the time.
What if between the machinist masters here, a working version of this was made

Spyderman

Quote from: Reeltyme on April 10, 2020, 08:05:48 PM
A great piece any way you look at it. My best guess based on using your photos, is that it measures about 8 3/4" high and 7" wide across the plates and spool. A true big boy. On looking at the seat, the thickness of the foot would require a special built rod seat to accept the reel. That would never fit on any rod seat I ever saw. There are no harness rings or rod harness rings either. I can assume that the Philip head screws are replacements during the restoration process or building process?

10" high and 8" across the plates and spool.  Harness rings will be added when I can get to my local Home Depot (large screw eyes should suffice).  ;)

Spyderman

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 10, 2020, 08:24:25 PM
You need to make a matching rod

LOL!  No, I'm hoping the quarantine is lifted before I resort to that to pass the time.  :D

Spyderman

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on April 10, 2020, 08:26:56 PM
I for one want to believe.
Now that you have the sample, start building a working one.

We all have the time.
What if between the machinist masters here, a working version of this was made

Actually, I'm surprised that someone here hasn't already attempted to build a working monster reel.  I built this primarily to display at fishing shows, where I'd have a table to display and sell the reels that I've refurbished.  I pretty much restore and refurbish mostly Penn reels, but I'll work on any reel that comes my way.

Spyderman

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2020, 06:04:26 PM
It cannot be real. The shift lever is at 11oclock, and gear train is at 7 oclock. This leaves no place for internal components to fit. Definitely a phony

What type of clock are you referring to? And I take exception with your accusation that this is a phony! It's a genuine figment of my fertile imagination.  ;D

Spyderman

Quote from: Cor on April 10, 2020, 07:43:56 PM
Quote from: wfjord on April 10, 2020, 05:18:13 PM
The rings, posts, and stand have a white appearance kinda like brushed aluminum.  Something about the stand looks like it was made from a chunk of aluminum, but maybe just my imagination. Pretty big gap between the spool & rings.  I'll look forward to hearing what the experts here have to say.
I am no Penn expert other then having fished them 50 years back and It does not look "right" to me.
The screws in the posts look too small & not countersunk and I've never seen Phillips heads.
You can see machining marks on the foot and also handle.
Sideplates....na!

Does not change the fact that it is interesting.

I am also waiting for one of the experts to comment.

The directions the commentary is taking is proving fascinating to watch.  :D 

Spyderman

Quote from: Maxed Out on April 10, 2020, 08:02:52 PM
It doesn't take an "expert" to see that this reel is an oxy-moron.

The eccentric should be straight up from the bridge. Take a look, if the eccentric was way off kilter like this 50/0, the Jack could not function at all. I laid a jack on this Penn to give a visual of where the jack would be on this 50/0. Sorry to pop everyones bubble. We know it has no internals

A double jack Penn, very interesting...and I resent your calling my creation an oxy-moron!  >:(  You have hurt its feelings.  :'(

Alto Mare

Interesting... Ted has a good point, but the eccentric could be modified to make it work at its correct location.
Any chance you could open it up so we could see the clutch assembly?

The seat would be very hard to mount on a standard rod, it's too thick.
The rings don't look that good when you take a closer look.
The reel might be fake, but can't tell
If you don't mind, could you show the inside of the reel?
Thanks!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2020, 09:29:00 PM
Interesting... Ted has a good point, but the eccentric could be modified to make it work at its correct location.

The seat would've be very hard to mount on a standard rod, it's too thick.
My take on this reel...
If I don't get to see the inside, it's fake.

Prove me and Ted wrong and show us some pics of the inside.

Sal

Sheesh what a grouch...  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on April 10, 2020, 09:42:05 PM

My take on this reel...

Sal

You are correct! That didn't sound good at all.
I modified it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Spyderman

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2020, 09:55:36 PM
Quote from: Dominick on April 10, 2020, 09:42:05 PM

My take on this reel...

Sal

You are correct! That didn't sound good at all.
I modified it!

Sal

Hey Sal!

No, sorry, I can't open the reel to reveal the innards.  In retaliation for having taken the liberty of snatching two of her pot lids, my wife took all of my Phillips screwdrivers and ground the tips off of them.  ::)