Penn Senator 16/0 - what year?

Started by Stripah, April 19, 2020, 01:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripah

Hi guys - yesterday I picked up a 16/0 and I would love to find out, if at all possible, what year this could be from?  Any way to authenticate the year?   Thank you.

Deepennz

Hi There,
Penn started production of their one-piece spools in 1956. In the mid 60's they moved the Penn logo from the 3o'clock position to 12 O'clock. So that would place your reel in the late 50's, early 60's timeframe.
There may be others on here (Mike, Ted?) who can date it more accurately.

Cheers
Martin

Stripah

Thank you so much Martin.  Sounds like it's older than I thought which is cool. Any guess at a value?   

Donnyboat

It looks to be in really good condition, I would say its worth know less than US $1000.00, geting back to its age, I will stand correcting, but I was under the impression that they did not use roller bearing till about 1982.
     Sal, Fred & Daron ( shark hunter ), would know much more than me.
     What did you pay for it.
     Are you going to strip it & service the bearings, also the drag may need updating to Carbon Fibre, it would go good on a bent butt rod, or have you brought it for a shelfy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Deepennz

Hi Don,
The 14/0, and 16/0 were produced with bearings from the beginning - 1939.

Stripah

Thanks Don. I would love to have it stripped, serviced and checked out.  Outside is super clean and the only information I got it when I purchased it was that it was his grandfathers and had sat in the rafters of a basement for the last 25 to 30 years and he knew that his grandfather Fisht it in the 70s or 80s. That was about it though.  I paid $650 which I thought resulted in a good deal for me.

Ideally I'd love to fish it and then put it on the shelf with some other antique fishing gear I have.

Jeff

milne

It sure is in good Nick, congrates, nice lookin reel you have....

Col

Donnyboat

Thanks Deepennz, 1939 thanks for that .
     Looks great Jeff, you got a good deal ay, if it been fished, I would service the bearings, & re grease every thing, not that hard to do, plenty of good people here to help you if you think, your having trouble doing it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Stripah

Thanks everyone.  I watched a video on YouTube on how/what to do so I just might give it a go. 

Ultimately once I feel good about the year I'd love to find a rod from that time and pair em up. 

Stay healthy everyone.

broadway

Don't think you can more accurately date it than what Martin already did.
I learned something as well.  I had noticed the lever was moved but didn't know the time frame.
Your a wealth of knowledge around here. 
Thanks for stepping up since we lost two of the greatest Penn historians in the past 16 months.
I am learning, but You, Ted, and Mike gotta keep this train rolling so a bowl of Wheaties tomorrow instead of bacon and eggs smothered with cheese, fellas! ;D
Stay safe to all,
Dom
PS-nice reel, Stripah.

Maxed Out

Very nice 16/0 indeed !! Tough to put a year on it as Martin stated. It falls into the '56-'65 category. Very worthy of displaying

I'd put a value of $800 minimum on it. Great buy for $650 !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Cuttyhunker

Completed ebay deals search on the 118 seems to be selling from the high 500's to just over 1000 depending on the reel.  Agree with Ted, looks better than 650 to me too!! Was it hanging on a rod up in the rafters?  Enjoy.
Doomed from childhood

Stripah

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the info. I'm trying to see if the rod is available too. I think it was.