"Part Hogs" for older conventional Penns

Started by Brandon G, April 19, 2020, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hello,

In my line of work, we have machines which use the same parts interchangably, even though being a completely different model... kind of like Penns.
We have machines in our shop called 'part hogs' because they share a significant amount of parts with machines we have in the field.

Are there certain models to pick up that are cheap that have more interchangeable parts than others?
I currently am planning on servicing my 140, 155, 67, and 85 if that helps narrow down the hogs at all... haha

I'm basically asking as I'm going to be coming across a lot of reels shortly and I can't afford to purchase them all, and I wanted to make sure if there aren't any 'good ones' that I grab any hogs.

I'm very new to this hobby but so far it has been nothing but a blast.

Thank you in advance!

~brandon
Tight Lines :)

mo65

That 85 you're servicing is one of the "parts hog" models. They are very cheap most times and have a lot of common parts. More great low cost parts models are the Delmar 285, the 180 Baymaster, and the 155 Beachmaster. Anytime you run across a Jigmaster cheap it's a great parts source too. Unfortunately, cheap parts reels are becoming an endangered species. Less and less $10 reels are listed on fleabay...they are being listed for $25 plus these days...it seems the endless supply of cheap Penn parts has finally begun to dry up.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brandon G

Great!
The 85 is gonna be my 3rd reel I service, maybe 2nd. I'm planning on doing my squidder first.
If I find a Jigmaster 500 I'm going to 99 it with my silverbeach that is in almost new condition.

I made a few posts on FB asking for reels, rods and tackle, and a lot of people are reaching out. I'm trying to filter the people to old or rich, preferably with boats or lives on the water. HAHAHA
I was starting to collect lures, but those are so spendy and pretty hard to find good ones at cheap prices. Most people know they are worth something, but reels... most people think old = bad.. heck, I used to subscribe to that belief. You guys definitely have opened my eyes though!!

So out of all my reels, I feel my Squidder is my favorite and will be best for my surf fishing. Do you know which hogs coordinate with a 140 best?

I read 155s are great surf reels too, if I can't find reels to part out, do you think a 155 is worth spending $60ish on replacement cosmetics and washer upgrades? I know I shouldn't judge by cost, but at a certain point ya gotta think... ehhh lol

mo65

Quote from: W1R3T4Penn on April 19, 2020, 11:57:52 PM
I read 155s are great surf reels too, if I can't find reels to part out, do you think a 155 is worth spending $60ish on replacement cosmetics and washer upgrades? I know I shouldn't judge by cost, but at a certain point ya gotta think... ehhh lol

Spending that much on parts for a 155 isn't something I'd do personally...but hey...you're not me. We all have our own boundaries. You can find a mint 155 for less on fleabay if you search for a while, that is what I would do. If I were you...I'd service that Squidder first. It very well may have good drags in it already. If not, you can get them from Mystic for a few bucks. Getting your hands dirty is the best way to start...then later you can ponder all the upgrades and such. Just returning a reel to it's stock glory is a great way to start. Then once you familiarize yourself with the inner workings you can branch out into hotrod heaven. 8)

Swami805

You can still get lucky sometimes when there's reels in a bundle on fleabay, maybe one reel you really want with some part hogs in the mix
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brandon G

Yeah, I tend to stay away from fleabay as I have a problem with auctions... I HAVE TO WIN. Not good for my wallet or marriage.. HAHA

I have my Squidder 140 drags ordered and hopefully will be here by next week! I'm very excited. Gonna be going through the tutorials and watching Second Change Tackle's videos nonstop until everything arrives.

What was your first reel you serviced? When was that?

mo65

Quote from: W1R3T4Penn on April 20, 2020, 01:36:06 AM

I'm not sure you were addressing me...but I'm answering...ha! I think the first reels I serviced were my personal Penn 209s. The first one I have record of was this 309, and it is still on a rod, and it is a catfishing beast.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18587.0

Gfish

I'd consider the Long Beach series (60-68) to fall into a "Parts Hog" category. I only have 2 older Penns that wouldn't fit that category; a 130 Sailfisher and a '38 Long Beach Deluxe.
The conventional reel section of the Mysticparts website  might assist in compiling a list of the reels that share many parts with others.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Brandon G

Quote from: mo65 on April 20, 2020, 02:05:53 AM
Quote from: W1R3T4Penn on April 20, 2020, 01:36:06 AM

I'm not sure you were addressing me...but I'm answering...ha! I think the first reels I serviced were my personal Penn 209s. The first one I have record of was this 309, and it is still on a rod, and it is a catfishing beast.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18587.0

It was an open question haha

That is a sweet reel! I think your video is awesome, that bass line, hot damn.

thorhammer

Baymaster, Beachmaster and Surfmaster all share a lot of parts interchangeably and some internals, bars, stands, handles will fit Squidder as well. Those are a good place to start if you want to get the legos going.

festus

Monofil 25,26, and 27 also share many parts and can be found at reasonable prices.

Brandon G

Heck yeah! Thank you guys! I have an "appointment" for an estate sale that has some fishing equipment. Hopefully there are reels there or I am wasting my time! haha

thorhammer

I only have one Monofil, a 27, but I forgot to say they that mechanically they are rebadged Surfmasters and a lot of parts interchange in my above response! Thanks Chester for the reminder!

Porthos on here, Wai, has a souped-up 25 you may look at for ideas, and of course the Jigmaster / 250 / 259 reels are the AR-15's of reels as far as mod's go.

Cuttyhunker

Here are a couple of PDF's that may help locating interchangeability and "Parts Hogs"
Doomed from childhood