anyone with experience or upgrade suggestions for 6501 pro rocket black edition?

Started by Waaatmahanes, April 20, 2020, 09:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaatmahanes

I love the reel right out of the box but I really want to tune it up with some extra time on my hands.  Anyone have some upgrades, parts, or directions I should look into first?  I'd love a wiffle spool and have heard rumors that the record no61 wiffle fits the 6501 abu reels but haven't been able to find anyone manufacturing them.

alantani

never even seen one before, but they are probably fairly straight forward.  it's just a matter of which drags fit.  they might not have carbon fiber, and would greatly benefit from a set. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ReelFishingProblems

Never messed with them, but I want to.
Akios makes some custom parts that look good.

I came upon the following page when looking at possibly getting an Abu to upgrade

https://akios-superstore.co.uk/epages/eshop1251544.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1251544/Categories/Akios_Custom_and_Parts/Custom_Parts

I never bought anything from them so I cannot speak to dealing with this company. Maybe someone here has.

thorhammer

Oh boy, thanks Nicky- didn't need to see that wormhole with the amount of Abu's I have!

OP- you might try Hatteras Jack tackle B&T; ask for Ryan, the owner. He's a player on the national tourney scene and does a lot of customization on Abu's, or did- Rockets, Blue Yonder's, et al. Nice guy. It's where I get drum bait and supplies in Rodanthe. You might also try Red Drum B&T- those guys really know rods and reels as well. Ryan used to have Abec's and ceramic on his site, and I think Dawn at Smooth Drag here on AT has bearings as well as carbontex for Abu also.

John

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on April 21, 2020, 12:19:05 PM
Oh boy, thanks Nicky- didn't need to see that wormhole with the amount of Abu's I have!

Same here John...ha! Thanks Nick, never seen this before, stainless gears for a 5500 has my complete attention! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RC4600

Another site to look at is www.blakdogtackle.com I have used their mag brake kits and other parts. Big into Abu ( & clones), Diawa , tournament casting as well as fishing. Nice folks. BTW they are in Great Britain but ship to US and with a strong $ worth a look. RC