Newell Puzzle

Started by Newell Nut, April 25, 2020, 12:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I know Newells extremely well and have rebuilt hundreds of them and some I brought back from the dead. So here is the puzzle: I recently acquired a set of P Newell rings new in OEM packaging. The left and right outer rings are obviously different but why would one package of the inner rings be labeled P3-203L Left Inside Ring and one labeled P3-203R Right Inside Ring when the inner rings are identical. That just baffles me. Why?

Dwight/dazed and confused  ;D

Alto Mare

Sorry buddy I can't help,?i only own Penn🙂
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Maybe like gears they are matched.  Don't lose too much sleep over it.   :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

foakes

Call Dwight --

He is Mr. Newell.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

oc1

I've never touched a Newell but saw a pcture.  Is the top post a tiny bit closer to the front post than it is to the rear post?
-steve

Hamachi

Quote from: oc1 on April 25, 2020, 04:24:26 AM
I've never touched a Newell but saw a pcture.  Is the top post a tiny bit closer to the front post than it is to the rear post?
-steve
Just on the 200 series the placement of the screws are asymmetrical, maybe they just carried that over as to not create any confusion.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Newell Nut

From the 300s on up the inner rings are the same on each side. Maybe there was an inventory reason or something in house. Just thought it to be quite strange to label them differently.

Dwight

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on April 25, 2020, 04:24:26 AM
I've never touched a Newell but saw a pcture.  

-steve

If you did touch one, you might not want to let it go...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RUSTY OLD COLT

So true . the 220 is my favorite especially with one of Randys extra narrow kits. All we need now is for somebody to design some custom handles.