Roller 50-80 multi piece travel rod how to find screwed ferules

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, December 04, 2011, 02:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

Because they are difficult to find or extremely expensive I'm playing with the idea of building myself a stan-up marlin rod. The rod will be paired with a 50 class reel as they have probably sufficient drag nowadays. At least they have more drag than I think that I can handle stand-up. Of course I could use a butt extender and take a seat in the chair but that is not the primary focus (and stiil the drag would be sufficient). Not sure yet if I´m going to build. The boat that we rented has plenty of gear and the captain s famous for light tackle marlin records. But you guys probably know how it is. You want to own it and be able to sneek into the garage and look at it when you think of your next personal record catch

My thinking is along the following lines:
- 50 to 80 or 100# blank
- All rollers. If I can find them for a reasonable price I will look for the Alutecnos rollers because they are removable
- Short bent butt. Not sure yet as I see also short straight being used.
- travel version in 4 pcs like the charkbait 50-80 travel rod

I already looked at several blanks from Seeker, Calstar and Gator. I'm not yet far enough to decide where to go. Main issue is the flex and taper of the rod. I probably do not want a superfast rod as only the tip is bending and there is not much flex over the rod. I need some flex to put strain on the fish and less on me but I'm not sure were the optimum is. Until I gain sufficent knowledge I will not yet decide on the rod.  The boomer series look nice but also the grafighter series look very nice. The boomer series have thick butt ends so that might be a problem. All the blanks are too long. The whole rod length needs to be between 5 and 5,5 feet and all rods need to be cut to a shorter lengt. I noticed there are some 4,2 ' blanks which might be an option.

I think I need rollers. I see that there are heavy rods with ordinary lineguides and that large fish are battled succesfully (kilsong with a grander BFT on a 450 grams black hole cape cod rod) but there are only few who do that on a consistent basis. If I can get them reasonable priced than I prefer Alutecnos because the rollers can be removed from the rollerfeet fro transportation. If they are way to expensive than I will choose pac bay, aftco, stuart or similar.

The short bent butt will be either 50(#2) class or 80 (#4) class. I noticed that only a few of the selected blanks wil lfit the #2 butt as the ID is 0,875 " and the boomer Jr (and even the baby boomer) will need a #6 without reducing the diameter of the blank. not certain yet about unibutt or storabutt,  bent or straight, #2 or #4 and even slick butt is not yet totally discarded

Now the last part is probably the hardest: I want a travel version. I have not yet been able to find a source for screwed ferules for big game rods. I looked at mudholes.com. They sell all the stuff but they have only light tackle ferules. Both the Charkbait travel rod and the Davis travel rod (see steve-o topic about halibut rod) have those ferules

So a long story for a short question: Does anybody know where you can find these sort of ferules.

I´m not in a hurry. The trip is end july next year

Snagged2

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 04, 2011, 02:26:08 PM

I have not yet been able to find a source for screwed ferules for big game rods. I looked at mudholes.com. They sell all the stuff but they have only light tackle ferules. Both the Charkbait travel rod and the Davis travel rod (see steve-o topic about halibut rod) have those ferules

So a long story for a short question: Does anybody know where you can find these sort of ferules.

I´m not in a hurry. The trip is end july next year

I've been looking for those heavy duty ferrules as well..
and, have not been able to source them as of yet..

Bryan Young

You may need to find someone whom's wholesaler is Clemens (if they are still in business) or Merrick (Texas)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Reinaard van der Vossen

Bryan,

I looked at Merrick. They have ferrules from Arcane components. The ferrules are beautifull made and you can get them in a titanium version as well but they are for fly rods and that is a totally different balgame.

Clemens ferrules  I am unable to find

Reinaard van der Vossen

I found ordinary Gary Howard  ferrules up to 20 mm (approx 0.8 inch) at jarvis walker
http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/gary-howard-rod-ferrules.html

No success with the screwed type though :(

Steve-O

You might give these a look. I've bought and fished his rods. Perhaps you buy the rod and deconstruct it to build upon your blank and components using the screw type ferrules from the Davis Rod. My thought is Charkbait uses the VERY same screw type on their $$$ travel rods. The only other place I might look is Mudhole. I've bought their reinforced ferrules up to size 20 to cut my Jarvis rods and others in half to make them travel rods. They held up well on sheets of plywood from 300 feet..... :o...I mean Halibut.  ;D

Good luck on your quest.

Steve-O

the link - http://stores.ebay.com/Davis-Saltwater-Fishing-Rods/Travel-Trolling-Rods-2-Piece-/_i.html?_fsub=1113795017&_sid=137224937&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

TonyFriend

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 04, 2011, 02:26:08 PM

- Short bent butt. Not sure yet as I see also short straight being used.
- travel version in 4 pcs like the charkbait 50-80 travel rod

Not certain yet about unibutt or storabutt,  bent or straight, #2 or #4 and even slick butt is not yet totally discarded

Now the last part is probably the hardest: I want a travel version. I have not yet been able to find a source for screwed ferules for big game rods.

Reinaard,

1) If you can't decide on the butt, best option is an Aftco Storabutt - that way you can get additional butts, and have whichever you want at the time - straight, short bent, long bent. A good source of well-priced components is
http://www.rodandreelparts.com/

2) If you use an Aftco butt, you can probably make the remainder in only two parts, and it should still fit in your luggage.

3) I'm amazed that no-one seems to sell a range of high-quality 3 piece big game rods. Actually what would be better still would be a range of two-piece "blades" made to fit onto Aftco butts. Charkbait, Shimano (in Australia only) and I think Okuma have reasonable offerings, but no-one seems to have a line of top-quality big-game rods which break down into lengths that will fit into normal luggage. I plan on using the Shimano Australia rod with an Aftco #2 butt, but that is too light for what you need, and also it doesn't have roller guides. I tried to buy the blank, but it's not available.

Good luck on the ferrules - if you go with the Aftco butt, you will only need one, but that seems elusive. I looked around a bit and couldn't find them, and I got no response from Charkbait on their source. I suspect Charkbait's come from China.

Reinaard van der Vossen

I have finally made a decission and acted upon that decission.

Pinacle marine outfitters travel solid glass bent butt 60-100lb short standup rod. Although he sometimes makes this rod this one was made for me.

Above is my new rod. It is made by John V from Pinnacle Marine outfitters. As you can see it is a travel rod but the blank is only divided in two pieces. After consultation with John it was decided that there would be only one division in the blank and to keep the rod as strong as possible a solid glass blank was chosen. The rollers are all pac bay ( a type that can deal with braided lines well) and the butts are both pac bay as well.

I choose to order an additional butt. The rod will be used standup probably from a braid harness and belt. I'm not sure yet which butt I'm going to fish. I was under the impression that a bent butt will give me more leverage but I see in the video's of Dennis Braid that they use a short straight butt as well.

If any of you have experiences in that area they are most welkom. The short bent butt is 1,5" longer than standard so it will fit in most rod holders as well.

Anyway. not a 4 pc rod but I think i can live with the 3 pc and have a stronger rod as surplus. The rod is beautifully build and from the looks the quality is also very good.

I had the last ferrule that they had but if there is a demand I'm sure that they can find these ferrules again.

Tile

Nice rod. I absolutely love solid fiberglass blanks and rods. The color scheme is similar to the one on my spinning rod. Enjoy it and tight lines.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on January 28, 2012, 11:54:00 PM

Pinacle marine outfitters travel solid glass bent butt 60-100lb short standup rod. Although he sometimes makes this rod this one was made for me.

Above is my new rod. It is made by John V from Pinnacle Marine outfitters. As you can see it is a travel rod but the blank is only divided in two pieces. After consultation with John it was decided that there would be only one division in the blank and to keep the rod as strong as possible a solid glass blank was chosen. The rollers are all pac bay ( a type that can deal with braided lines well) and the butts are both pac bay as well.

I choose to order an additional butt. The rod will be used standup probably from a braid harness and belt. I'm not sure yet which butt I'm going to fish. I was under the impression that a bent butt will give me more leverage but I see in the video's of Dennis Braid that they use a short straight butt as well.

If any of you have experiences in that area they are most welkom. The short bent butt is 1,5" longer than standard so it will fit in most rod holders as well.

Anyway. not a 4 pc rod but I think i can live with the 3 pc and have a stronger rod as surplus. The rod is beautifully build and from the looks the quality is also very good.

I had the last ferrule that they had but if there is a demand I'm sure that they can find these ferrules again.

He does not make rod. All his rods are made by a manufacturer in Taipei, Taiwan.

BTW, that Taiwan manufacturer does make good rods.

Dominick

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on January 28, 2012, 11:54:00 PM
Reinaard:  Good decision.  That is a fine looking set-up.  If you don't mind would you post information on how to purchase those rods or is this one of a kind?  If there is no website for the rod builder I would like to know what you paid for it.  If you do not want to make the price public PM me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Reinaard van der Vossen

@ Black Pearl: I  know that he is not making all of those rods himself I think it mentions somewhere that there are over 12.000 rods delivered so I know there is a larger factory behind this which is probably in asia. I should have said that I have been dealing with John and going through the options.

@ Pescachaser: I purchased the rod incl international transport to the Netherlands so I don't know if it helps you. I think it was a little over 260$ (incl 2 butts). If you go to "the whole truth forum" you will find there that pinnacle is regularly displaying/offering rods incl prices so I think that he does not mind. If you see what you get the prices are darn good because travel rods are more expensive than non travel rods. You can choose several options like stuart rollers etc but at a premium. I have chosen the smaller rollers as it will be all wind-on for me and only a swivel in the last 4-5 feet. Because of the split in the rod I have chosen solid glass blank which is cheaper than carbon or composite blanks. For the butt I wanted to have both options as it will be a stand-up rod for use with a Harness (braid brute force type or similar) and belt (large plate)

I think with the short curved butt I will have more leverage and stability in standup with a belt and harness but it all depends on the loading of the rod so therefore (and maybe for other styles of fishing) I also ordered a short straight butt.

The rod will be probably combined with an okuma  makaira 50W although tiagra 50WLRSA, accurate's or other strong reels are still possible

Tile

Another good option for a reel is a Penn International 50v 2 speed. For the price you got a 3 into 1 rod that will stand up to the rigors of fishing and serve you well.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Nuvole

I am one of those frequent travel that use travel rod here's my two cents.

The rod when packed should fit in a standard luggage, and physically weight light.
I've tried one expensive custom made full roller rod with Seeker's blank, and it failed me.
The rod permanently bent forward even after the repair.

As a traveler, I now don't seek physically heavy rod. I much prefer a rod that packed into 4-5 pieces with roller tip and normal guide that I can use for both trolling and for live bait.