Best Reel/reels to buy with $100 Vintage Penn

Started by Brandon G, April 28, 2020, 05:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hello,

I'm finally getting paid back by a friend who owes me roughly $100 bucks.

I have a 8/10 quality wise 140 Squidder and it works great, it is going to be my fishing reel.
What I currently have: 60, 67, 85, 99, 109LH, 209, 113, 140, 285, 350m.

Now, I live on the Puget Sound in Port Orchard, but I like to surf cast and river fish in my waders for Salmon.
My question is which reels should I go after at this point. I kind of need part reels, but also wouldn't mind another collector/one to work on.

I plan on using most of these reels when I have the proper application for them.

Anywho, I want to get either a few ideas of reels to start gunning after.
Tight Lines :)

xjchad

I think a couple of good options would be the Mag 10 and one of the xx00SSS spinners in a size that works for you (I love my 9500SS!).

Another option though, might be to spend that cash for some upgrades to the reels you already have.
Stainless steel sleeves
Upgraded drags
Handle arm/knobs
Etc.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

If you can get a Mag 970 for less than $100, I recommend it.

Swami805

For collecting maybe one really nice old Penn with the box and all the stuff
For your kind of fishing a small gold bait caster, the penn 900 series. It might serve both with a box and all. Maybe a colored monofil like a 109 or 9 too, That nice teal color
A 970 would be a good choice for too if you're going for bigger stuff
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

I'll agree with Chad...the Mag 10 is a fantastic bargain...whether to collect or fish. You can watch eBay for a while and pick up a Mag 10 for under $50...leaving you some coin to buy upgrade parts to tweak on it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rancanfish

The Squidder is the original surf caster, along with surprise,  a reel called a 'Surfmaster'.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Brandon G

Quote from: mo65 on April 28, 2020, 05:58:23 PM
   I'll agree with Chad...the Mag 10 is a fantastic bargain...whether to collect or fish. You can watch eBay for a while and pick up a Mag 10 for under $50...leaving you some coin to buy upgrade parts to tweak on it. 8)

I forgot I actually have a Mag 10. I didn't list it because I was going off of memory. I suck haha

What upgrades can be done to a Mag 10? Mine seems very "geary" when I cycle the handle. I took it apart and cleaned some spots but it feels rough. It doesn't have good free spin, but that might just be the mag. It looks pretty clean though. If that a good one to invest in, like my squidder was, I can take some pictures tonight. If ya'll want to help me analyze the reel to see if I should buy another one and use the current one for parts.
I'm sure there are tutorials on upgrades, but I'm not sure which ones I should invest in.

Decker

Quote from: W1R3T4Penn on April 28, 2020, 06:23:11 PM

What upgrades can be done to a Mag 10? Mine seems very "geary" when I cycle the handle. I took it apart and cleaned some spots but it feels rough. It doesn't have good free spin, but that might just be the mag. It looks pretty clean though. If that a good one to invest in, like my squidder was, I can take some pictures tonight. If ya'll want to help me analyze the reel to see if I should buy another one and use the current one for parts.
I'm sure there are tutorials on upgrades, but I'm not sure which ones I should invest in.

Chad and Mo have mastered the Penn 10 upgrades.   We're all about reconditioning stuff that doesn't work as well as it should here.  You'll get plenty of help with whatever needs to be done to get your 10 spinning like a top.

Good luck!
/Joe

mo65

What upgrades can be done to a Mag 10? Mine seems very "geary" when I cycle the handle. I took it apart and cleaned some spots but it feels rough. It doesn't have good free spin, but that might just be the mag.

There is a long list of things to upgrade on the mag 10...better drags, ss gear sleeve, frame tweaks, handle swaps...running outta breath. If it doesn't free spool well and feels "geary" check the pinion. Where it passes through the spool shaft...burnish that...make sure it isn't rough there.
   There is also a long list of threads about the Mag 10...here are a few to wet your appetite:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22851.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18910.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30469.0

There are more too...the Mag 10 can be transformed to a beastly little reel. 8)

Brandon G

Quote from: mo65 on April 28, 2020, 06:53:30 PM
What upgrades can be done to a Mag 10? Mine seems very "geary" when I cycle the handle. I took it apart and cleaned some spots but it feels rough. It doesn't have good free spin, but that might just be the mag.

There is a long list of things to upgrade on the mag 10...better drags, ss gear sleeve, frame tweaks, handle swaps...running outta breath. If it doesn't free spool well and feels "geary" check the pinion. Where it passes through the spool shaft...burnish that...make sure it isn't rough there.
   There is also a long list of threads about the Mag 10...here are a few to wet your appetite:

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22851.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18910.0

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30469.0

There are more too...the Mag 10 can be transformed to a beastly little reel. 8)

Thank you! Ill be checking those links out for sure. I ordered cals from Amazon... bad choice still 2 weeks out and i ordered on the 10th. Once i get it, installing squidders drags, then i will work on that 10.
Wooooo im excited!! Ill the moolah for upgrades to the 10.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Here's a cute little vintage reel that would be good for river fishing, surf perch and the graphics on the box are amazing and would look great in your display case.  I think that it's the coolest Penn box that I have seen.  I can deliver the reel, box and accessories, as shown, to Port Orchard for $85.  If that works for you, I would be happy to send you some good close up photos of the reel.

Thanks,

Randy

Brandon G

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on April 28, 2020, 08:49:42 PM
Here's a cute little vintage reel that would be good for river fishing, surf perch and the graphics on the box are amazing and would look great in your display case.  I think that it's the coolest Penn box that I have seen.  I can deliver the reel, box and accessories, as shown, to Port Orchard for $85.  If that works for you, I would be happy to send you some good close up photos of the reel.

Thanks,

Randy

Im interested. I might be able to upgrade the 10 and swing that. More pics please!

Swami805

Of course Randy has a nice gold 900 series, good deal too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Randy is correct...the Levelmatic is a fantastic river reel...I catfish with mine. They come stock with leather drags, carbon fibers are pretty easy to install. The handle upgrade is a bit tougher though, as nobody makes a bigger handle that slips right on.Years ago Penn offered one, but those are scarce as hen's teeth. The Levelmatic 940 is a single paddle/counter balance type...but not much bigger than that tiny 910 double paddle.8)

Alto Mare

Good price for that reel Randy!

The 10 would be nice as well, I just wish the spool shaft was as beefy as the Surfmaster :-\

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.