Best Reel/reels to buy with $100 Vintage Penn

Started by Brandon G, April 28, 2020, 05:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Well, that master machinist crafting frames for his Penn 10.... not fair. Why'd ya have to show me that? Now I have need to buy a mill and do it myself.... GOSH haha (kidding no way I could afford that)

Second of all, that is one badass handle for that reel, I'm going to need to upgrade the handle to that one or similar.. haha

I think I should be able to buy the 900 series and get upgrades for my 10. Maybe not all the upgrades right away, but I'll make it purr.

So, I'm new to the 900 series, which one are you offering?
Tight Lines :)

Vintage Offshore Tackle

It's the 910 Brandon. I will take some pictures and put them up for you in the morning. 

I don't know much about the reel, but I sure do love the box.

Thanks to everybody for the help!

Brandon G

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on April 29, 2020, 02:41:42 AM
It's the 910 Brandon. I will take some pictures and put them up for you in the morning. 

I don't know much about the reel, but I sure do love the box.

Thanks to everybody for the help!

The box is awesome looking! The reel will be awesome too! I'm excited. I sent you a message!

Brandon G

I just took the Penn 10 apart completely. That was the easiest pin to pop out ever! I don't have cal's yet, so I used Penn precision on the drags. I'm going to wipe it off and put cals when it arrives.
At first it wouldn't turn the spool, I tightened all the screws softly and finally it turned. Now it spins and no geary feeling.

Luckily the family I got this from upgraded the drags to the ht100s, so I think I'm gonna skip the smooth drags unless you guys suggest it is an absolute must.
Now I just need to find a different handle. I'm not a fan of the black bakelite.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Brandon, here are some photos of the 910.  I would rate it as an 8 for looks with the usual scuffs and scratches that you would expect with a reel of this age.  I opened it up and it looks really close to new inside, and it feels like it too.  I can only send 4 photos per post, so I will be putting up two posts.  Please let me know if you want it.

Thanks,

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Second set of photos

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Brandon G

I'll take it. I will have the money tonight/tomorrow.

Looks really nice!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Brandon G on April 30, 2020, 12:16:01 AM
I'll take it. I will have the money tonight/tomorrow.

Looks really nice!

Thanks Brandon.  I will put it away for you.  Please PM me your shipping address when you send the payment.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 28, 2020, 11:36:54 PM
Good price for that reel Randy!

YUP.

Quote from: Brandon G on April 28, 2020, 05:14:09 PM
What I currently have: 60, 67, 85, 99, 109LH, 209, 113, 140, 285, 350m.

The Penn 10 is a great reel and I have landed a lot of saltwater king salmon with them when I lived in SE Alaska.

To continue with what you have I would go with a Surfmaster 100, a Monofil 27 or a Baymaster 180. You are also missing some Jigmasters.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Lingwendil

Quote from: Brandon G on April 29, 2020, 05:55:57 AM
I just took the Penn 10 apart completely. That was the easiest pin to pop out ever! I don't have cal's yet, so I used Penn precision on the drags. I'm going to wipe it off and put cals when it arrives.
At first it wouldn't turn the spool, I tightened all the screws softly and finally it turned. Now it spins and no geary feeling.

Luckily the family I got this from upgraded the drags to the ht100s, so I think I'm gonna skip the smooth drags unless you guys suggest it is an absolute must.
Now I just need to find a different handle. I'm not a fan of the black bakelite.

If you want to try a different handle for the 10, I can send you the modern paddle style that I took off of my no.9-

I replaced it with an old school green torpedo style from XJchad :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)