Newell S series 200's / This is an S229-5

Started by Rancanfish, April 29, 2020, 04:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Am I correct in that only the long bar screws come out of the bars?  So the (right) ring can come off only?  The bars are semi-permanently attached?

I see in the 'S' schematic there is a warning to not disassemble the left side....

EDIT:    Any one new to 'S' series Newell reels, please read this entire thread, disassembly may become clearer for you.  
Despite the written warning in Newell's own literature,  these reels can indeed be broken down. There will likely be broken parts involved too. Use caution when twisting any components so as not to bend the fragile Stainless rings.  
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

If they're long screws they're threaded into the inside ring, they should un-screw
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

Swami,

I have the long screws removed.  The right ring is off.  I used Hamachi's suggestion in another thread, to put the nuts back on the end of the screw and tap them out. (Thanks Hamachi, great info.)

My question is about the  rear bar still being attached with the short screws to the left ring.  I was going to tap them out too, but then saw the (print) warning not to disassemble on Bryan's post of the S schematic.

EDITED to clarify which ring I was describing.  (I'll try to be more clear).

Swami805

I've had a bunch of long screw Newell's but never seen that particular set up. Bryan knows his Newells, I'd follow his advice. So the bars are permenently attacked to the rings I guess?

Rancanfish

Go to the stickied posts and you can see Bryan's 'S' schematic's post, second down. Then look at the schematic. there's a written warning to tear apart the right side only.
Makes no sense to me. However, both the bars are still attached by the short (2-3/4") screws. lots of corrosion on the screw tips. I'm trying my best to not damage the parts. I don't know if they have inserts pressed into the side plate or what. I tried to loosen them but then stopped.  Thought I would apply brain power first.

This reel is in fantastic shape with the exception of the dreaded corroded [screws]. So I'm trying to not be a klutz, and preserve the parts. But I'm not sure of the parts layout.

EDITED to change the word bars to [screws]. And added screw length. (No wonder no one understood).

Swami805

The warning about being assembled on a jig?  I guess they figured frame alignment was important and hard to get it right without a jig. They should come apart though
I've had a few that were heavily corroded and broke a few heads off trying to get them apart. I bought a set  of these nut  drivers which are helpful   Soak them with oil, I'm sure you know the drill

Rancanfish

I've had them soaking since last night. I had the tiny nut driver. But the ends of the screws are corroded inside the left plate. I can't make out if the ends are an even smaller nut size, or pressed in inserts. I spun the bar around in place but then stopped. 

I wish I had a fresh 'S' to see how they come apart (if they do).  I know I can cut it all apart and Tib frame it, but I don't want Hamachi disappointed in me, lol.

I'm sure I'll see it's simple, but want to do it right the first time.

I Pm'd Bryan and asked him to join in when he's available.

vilters

what size 200 are you working on? i may have some extra parts from a 229

Swami805

Those screws are either screwed in the threads of the rings or those long nuts in the side plate, just corroded in. When you lean on them they snap, just not a lot of metal left.Pretty sure I have some extra bars that are threaded graphite if it comes to that so it will look the same.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 29, 2020, 02:53:47 PM
Go to the oldest page (currently #25) and you can see Bryan's post, second down. Then look at the schematic. there's a written warning to tear apart the right side only.

Makes no sense to me. However, both the bars are still attached by the short screws. lots of corrosion on the screw tips. I'm trying my best to not damage the parts. I don't know if they have inserts pressed into the side plate or what. I tried to loosen them but then stopped.  Thought I would apply brain power first.

This reel is in fantastic shape with the exception of the dreaded corroded bars. So I'm trying to not be a klutz, and preserve the parts. But I'm not sure of the parts layout.

The purpose of the note that states do not disassemble the left side is from Newell because they put everything together in a jig to keep it square. This is how I have totally disassembled them and put them together perfectly square again.

When I bolt the inner rings and base together I leave the screws loose. Then inside a screw in all the other holes. Tighten them all down. Now remove the screws from the holes that get a side plate screw and you are good to go. Never failed me.

Dwight

Bryan Young

I have no recollection of the warning.

The long screws needs to come out of the bars to get the rings separated from the bars.  They will often get rusted, so you have to be careful to Lub and tap them out.  Be sure to grease them up good when re-installing to prevent further rusting on the screw.

I believe they went with the long screws because it was believe that the reel would square up better and the reel would be stronger and they could relax the strength of the bars a little to make the whole reel lighter since the screw when the entire width of the reel.

I have completely disassembled the reel and reassembled with the long screws without any alignment problems as Swami, Newell Nut, and others had indicated previously.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

I guess I'm just lousy at explaining.  I should have posted pic.

-I'm in tear down mode.

-Trying to save parts, but don't know parts or dis-assembly steps. (Because parts are not broken down in schematic).  The 'Warning' is part of printed material in schematic, not verbally stated by anyone.

-I discovered shorter screws from inside left ring are One piece (These are the one in base and one remaining in bars, two total). I grabbed head of one with vice grips and it came out. Head snapped off next one. New issue is trying to dremel remaining head off without damage to ring.

-If I can dremel off all remaining heads stuck in ring, I will have saved rings.

-If I can figure out a way to press (1)screws out of remaining bar, and (1) out of seat after dremeling them off ring, I will have saved them too.

-Two of the screws are destroyed or will be shortly.

Sorry for my lack of communication.

EDIT NOTE: Are screws available?  Or is the Tib frame the way to go?    I wanted to keep it original, for no logical reason.

Newell Nut

You never told us the size of your reel. Is a 220, 229 or 235?

Rancanfish

Yes! Success.  I dremelled the screw heads off with very minor scuffing of the ring.  This left me with a seat with a nub sticking out, and a bar with a nub.

I started thinking how to begin to push the shafts out,  and came up with this.  I recently refurbished a drill press that a customer gave me.  Closest  thing to a press I have. I dremelled  a flat spot in my chuck key, then put it in the drill press. Next I laid down my flat edged punch. Then I arranged the part with the screw hanging out and slowly applied pressure.  Pop. Voila!  The push gave me enough to grab with the vise grips.  Twisted them around while pulling and they released. The pic is after I popped it downward and the bar is just resting so I could take the pic.

This is a S229-5    I'll post up a pic in a minute of the bars and seat so you can see why I wanted to save them.

Swami805

Post the length of the screws you need, I'll see if I have them