Newell S series 200's / This is an S229-5

Started by Rancanfish, April 29, 2020, 04:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

You could buy a perfect reel from me. I have a pile of them.
Dwight

steelhead_killer

Learned something new today

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 29, 2020, 05:28:24 PM
Quote from: Rancanfish on April 29, 2020, 02:53:47 PM
Go to the oldest page (currently #25) and you can see Bryan's post, second down. Then look at the schematic. there's a written warning to tear apart the right side only.

Makes no sense to me. However, both the bars are still attached by the short screws. lots of corrosion on the screw tips. I'm trying my best to not damage the parts. I don't know if they have inserts pressed into the side plate or what. I tried to loosen them but then stopped.  Thought I would apply brain power first.

This reel is in fantastic shape with the exception of the dreaded corroded bars. So I'm trying to not be a klutz, and preserve the parts. But I'm not sure of the parts layout.

The purpose of the note that states do not disassemble the left side is from Newell because they put everything together in a jig to keep it square. This is how I have totally disassembled them and put them together perfectly square again.

When I bolt the inner rings and base together I leave the screws loose. Then inside a screw in all the other holes. Tighten them all down. Now remove the screws from the holes that get a side plate screw and you are good to go. Never failed me.

Dwight
><)))">

Rancanfish

It's all back together.  The only improvement I made was a new Cortez SS bearing cup.  I bought a new sleeve but left it out.  It will be a back up in case I screw up one of my 200 series reels while fishing. I even stayed with the graphite clicker since it was like new.

I ran into the frame alignment hassles but heard Dwight in my head telling me how to get it done.  It took a bit of tweaking but I have good freespool.

I also tried a P type handle with one of Alan's knobs on it but it felt way out of balance.  Will make a better fit on my 322 that's coming.

I took all the screws, chucked them in my battery driver and spun them first with a brass brush, then one of my wife's fingernail files.  Then greased them and spun them in the seat and bars.  I used more grease during assembly than I ever had used before. Fully protected for the next generation.

Major thanks to Steve (Vilters) for helping me keep this original reel original with his gifted parts.  It's an 'S', but it's bad 'S'.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

I just read a posting from Steve "Hippo" Lau that he loaded up his 220 with 12# mono and used to cast these micro jigs.  I think he called them scampi coasters.  Sounds like fun.  I may use 15# mono instead and a little heavier weighted lure/plug.  Already have a 10' blank that just needs to be built..
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Glad you got it back together and you learned a lot along the way. A couple things to look for with S or C and sometimes a no letter for long bolt giveaways. Left side has slick head screws and handle side has slotted. There are 3 different styles of Ss which is tough so you have to look closely. There is also phillips heads on the left side and handle side slotted heads. Sometimes you will see phillips on both sides and this is safe short screws. Slotted on both sides is short screws. Just little things to know when shopping.

Dwight

Swami805

Were  they ever made with long screws and 2 big bearing caps or single small bearing cap and short screws?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 08, 2020, 09:59:50 PM
I just read a posting from Steve "Hippo" Lau that he loaded up his 220 with 12# mono and used to cast these micro jigs.  I think he called them scampi coasters.  Sounds like fun.  I may use 15# mono instead and a little heavier weighted lure/plug.  Already have a 10' blank that just needs to be built..

Where was this discussion Bry?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rancanfish on May 09, 2020, 01:50:02 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on May 08, 2020, 09:59:50 PM
I just read a posting from Steve "Hippo" Lau that he loaded up his 220 with 12# mono and used to cast these micro jigs.  I think he called them scampi coasters.  Sounds like fun.  I may use 15# mono instead and a little heavier weighted lure/plug.  Already have a 10' blank that just needs to be built..

Where was this discussion Bry?
It was started on FaceBook under the jig only group.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

Quote from: Swami805 on May 09, 2020, 01:16:52 AM
Were  they ever made with long screws and 2 big bearing caps or single small bearing cap and short screws?

I do have in my possession a S 631 3 with 2 bearing cups and it has the long bolts. There are S reels with short screws and single bearing cap in plastic and single bearing cap in SS and the same style S reels would have long screws. When buying one on the bay always look at both side plates. If you can't see a pic of the left side plate then pass on the reel unless you plan to use a Tiburon frame.

A lot of the 322 reels have long screws and a lot of 200s have them as well.

If they had just lubed them on assembly there would not have been a big issue with them.

Dwight

Hamachi

Quote from: Swami805 on May 09, 2020, 01:16:52 AM
Were  they ever made with long screws and 2 big bearing caps or single small bearing cap and short screws?
I have a c533-5.5 with a small bearing cap and short screws. The screws are funny though, they have a centering tip on them. Threadless, and smaller diameter about 1/8" flat tip. Philip heads all the way around.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Newell Nut

I have seen a lot of Cs like that. You can't go by a letter prefix when buying. They vary a lot on the screw arrangement. Safest thing is to look at the pics really close.

Dwight

Bryan Young

Hamachi, I love those screws. It allows me to insert all of the screws at once and screw the reel together than one at a time.