Penn Long Beach 66 - drag expectations?

Started by williewiskers, April 29, 2020, 03:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

That's an awesome combo and heirloom John!
Great story too! Love it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

williewiskers

Someone asked about pictures of the "turquoise" handle. Others may call it "sea foam" or "mint". The LB doesn't get to keep it. I have secured 3 of these and they go on levelwind or leveline reels for the wife.

Thanks about the drag upgrade info. Does anyone sell the 5 stack as a kit or do I have to part it together myself?

williewiskers

I would like to get 15# of drag out of it at full spool without damage to the gear sleeve. I really don't see and reason to spool this with 50# under any circumstance, but can't justify the amount of line it would take at a lesser test. Now that I know I can get the drag out of it the question becomes, "what can I use it for that I don't already have a better reel specifically for".

The search for knowledge and insights continue.

mo65

Quote from: williewiskers on May 25, 2020, 02:49:38 PM
Someone asked about pictures of the "turquoise" handle. Others may call it "sea foam" or "mint". The LB doesn't get to keep it. I have secured 3 of these and they go on levelwind or leveline reels for the wife.

Thanks about the drag upgrade info. Does anyone sell the 5 stack as a kit or do I have to part it together myself?

Yes...that's the one most people call "mint green"...great looking knob. The 5-stack that comes as a kit is for the LB60 gear, and uses special thin washers. You can assemble a 5-stack for your LB66 from stock Penn washers...oddly enough...stock LB60 drag washers. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

williewiskers

So I just order 5 LB60 HT-100 drag washers and a few LB66 metals and they work on my LB 66 sleeve? Or the whole LB60 stack fits on my LB66 sleeve? Or do I need the LB60 sleeve?

I have to put a order into mystic and id like to get this into it.

Ty

Gfish

You know, with the 3 frame posts/side and relative narrowness to the 67 and 68, the 66 IS probably pretty sturdy. A nice upgrade would be the 5 stack yer talkin bout and a ss 98-505 gear sleeve/10-505 drag star. Pro Challenger has the gear sleeves($31)and I have an extra star you could have, n/c.

I used a 30's era 65 on 2 bottom fishing trips and indeed the gear sleeve started to collapse a bit. Probably I banged the handle or dropped it to cause this. Let us know as you start to hot rod it...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: williewiskers on May 25, 2020, 05:01:54 PM
So I just order 5 LB60 HT-100 drag washers and a few LB66 metals and they work on my LB 66 sleeve? Or the whole LB60 stack fits on my LB66 sleeve? Or do I need the LB60 sleeve?

Both the LB60 and the LB66 take the same gear sleeve. All you need to do is order 5 #6-60 HT100s and 2 sets of metal washers #7C-60. That will give you everything you'll need to assemble a 5-stack. You'll have one extra keyed metal washer left over.  8)

williewiskers

Thank you Mo. Gfish I use Cortez and I have to place a order for 16/0, 14/0, 12/0 and 9/0 stainless sleeves and dogs. I'll definitely see if he has the sleeve you mention. The larger LB's are turning out to be not such the dogs they are rumored to be.

Gfish

Yeah, they're lighter in weight it seems(haven't comparison weighed them) than similar sized Senators. The 65 I mentioned was the "deluxe" model with 4 total rings & a total 6 screw stand, some thicker metal parts and is slightly heavier than my 66.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

williewiskers

I just priced out the parts from Mystic - $15.

-5x 6-60 HT-100 drag washers
-2x 7C-60 drag metals kits
-1x 4-60 hard fiber washer (under gear)
-1x 6-113 (alternate under gear washer, if fits)

Doable for an experiment. The Cortez sleeve and star comes as a combo for $31. I think ill wait on that a little more and see how much I like it after I do the drag and fish with it. If I like it then ill get the sleeve / star. I have a JM I narrowed that I didnt even do the sleeve on, and its the same part; although with height of the spool acting as a fulcrum the LB likely needs it more - Im just concerned that the 4 screws that attach the reel to the stand are too weak to fully utilize more than a statutory amount of drag without deflection and failure anyhow.

So ill order the drag parts and see how it reacts under tension. If I find the stand screws are the limiting factor then there's no need to waste money on the sleeve.

foakes

The brass sleeves do round off sometimes --

However, of you attach the crank nut (1) notch past tight -- then install the locking screw -- it should be OK for now.

Main thing is to not give it any chance to wiggle or round off -- under normal fishing conditions.  A large fish may round it off anyway -- but you can address it at that time.a

I would try it as is with the drag upgrade and Cal's drag grease. 

These are tough reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I agree...do the drag mod and fish it...then if you like it add the more expensive upgrades. I know guys who have fished these 66s with drag upgrades for years without any problems, so don't be too quick to dismiss the ol' 66. Did you see the upgrade stands that Ted made for these reels?

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30389.0

williewiskers

Foakes,

I always install my handles this way - the next even notch past tight.

Mo,

For the height of the spool and the relitive weakness of the stand attachment I think a stand upgrade would be more useful than a sleeve upgrade right now. Do you have details for them? How much does this "Ted" charge?

williewiskers

Mo,

I followed that link to the other thread. I had previously thought about a way of achieving the same net effect cheaper by cutting down a pair of spare posts to fit "just between" the opposing reel stand screw holes and using longer stainless screws on both ends to completely prevent deflection of the short length of screw and thread that comprises the screw bung in the stand. None of the similar shorter spool reels I have upgraded (500, 140L, 200) have yet to exceed the mechanical limit of the standard HT-100 drag sets for them. THIS reel might definitely do it