Jigmaster Spool Scraping Sound

Started by Beachmaster, April 30, 2020, 12:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I just purchased an aluminum spool off ebay for my Jigmaster.  I noticed that it has two very small dents on each side of the spool edge.  You can't really see them, you can feel them.  It is causing a scraping sound while reeling.  It is also enough that when you forcefully turn the handle it will not spin as long as it normally would, it comes to a stop quicker/sooner than normal.  I know this because of adjusting the bushing screw on the left side plate.  Any ideas on how to make this work?  Maybe take some emory cloth to the aluminum spool?

Eddie K

That is why they sold the spool. 

Check the spindle and make sure it isn't bent.  I think th previous owner may have dropped the spool.  If one or both of the spindles are bent, the I would look for another spool. 

alantani

before you start sanding away at the spool, there is one thing to consider.  in old reel, spools will sometimes scrape because the end cap bushings are worn.  sometimes replacing those bushings will fix that problem! 

if it truly is damage to the lip of the spool, then you will see the anodizing worn away after a few cranks!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Swami805

I think I'd try the emory cloth first and lightly smooth  out the dents and see if that helps. If you got it off ebay you can send it back. Contact the seller before you do anything though, once you start sanding it it's yours.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Quote from: Beachmaster on April 30, 2020, 12:21:57 PM
I just purchased an aluminum spool off ebay for my Jigmaster.  I noticed that it has two very small dents on each side of the spool edge.  You can't really see them, you can feel them.  It is causing a scraping sound while reeling.  It is also enough that when you forcefully turn the handle it will not spin as long as it normally would, it comes to a stop quicker/sooner than normal.  I know this because of adjusting the bushing screw on the left side plate.  Any ideas on how to make this work?  Maybe take some emory cloth to the aluminum spool?
Alan's answer makes a lot of sense, but your spool shows dents on both sides, a clear indication it was dropped.
I would send it back, but it won't be easy for you to prove it.
If the seller is honest, he might even tell you to keep it and give your money back, you could then make that spool work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Beachmaster

Contacted seller and he told me to keep that spool and he sent me another one.  I have the reel torn down and soaking in Simple Green.  I will get it all cleaned up and put back together and see what happens when I crank it.  How do I know if the bushing is worn?

alantani

the only way really is to put in a new set and see if the problem goes away.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!