114H cortez side plate DD installation

Started by Swami805, May 01, 2020, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I'm putting together a 114H with cortez side plates and would like to add a 2nd dog. I couldn't find any info about doing it except for adding one to the bridge plate. Sal did one with a stock side plate but don't think I want to dremel these and also his had the open access side plate. Can it be done using the bridge screws? I bought 2 114H dogs and I have a couple ss dogs in size large too.
As long as I'm at it I didn't have the cabbage to spring for SS gear so all I have is a new set of stock gears. I'm using a motive fab drag insert. Will the stock gears hold up OK? They look pretty beefy. I have an SS gear sleeve too.
Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Would the 114H plate itself have to be modified(ground down)? That would ruin the anodizing and corrode like a you-know-what. If not, the bridge plate mod. would be the thing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Newell Nut

I can't imagine anyone grinding on Tom's pretty plates. That would be sinful. ;D

Dwight

Rancanfish

I would go for it with what you have.  Those gears are beefy.  I never hear anybody report losing teeth on those.

With the SS sleeve you will have to be buttoned down on Moby before damage occurs.  You're not doing sharks right?

I'm with you on not dremeling the plates,  I could but, I just don't do it.  I can't get over the hump.  

I think you should show me how easy it is.   :D

I have two Daiwa 600H's with Alan's 5 stack & handle, with Tom's SS sleeve you are welcome to try to tear up. They utilize a beefy bronze gear too.

Enjoy the build.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

xjchad

I was able to put a second dog in Tom's 9/0 plates without modding it for Darin.
I had to modify the dog to get it to clear and sync with the original one.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

I think I saw your post Chad, you  modified the bridge plate right?

RowdyW

Did you try checking if a second dog would fit in the plate as is? Tom has been taking into consideration that some of you want to double dog and has been modifying his designs. Maybe send Tom an email to find out for sure.     Rudy

Alto Mare

On the 6/0 narrow for Darin, I had to modify the plate for the second dog, but those weren't Tom's, they were Accurate plates.

On Tom's 9/0 it's drop in, he did all the hard work for us, but I'm not sure if his 6/0 plates are the same.

I did not purchase any yet, but there are some here that have and they should know the answer.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

I did it on my 9/0, it was a piece of cake. I played around with it last night and the dogs had plenty of clearance. I'll give it a shot tonight, I'll have to scrounge up material for the spring, on the 9/0 I cut up a blade from an old feeler gauge I used to use to gap the points in the distributor on my old volkswagon, wish I still had one, a car even I could fix!

xjchad

Looking at the pictures on his site, it should work fine.

Sheridan, call/text me if you need anything!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

Thanks Chad, I'll holler if I'm in a bind
I'll post some pictures when I do it

Petah

Sheridan,
             I did a double dog bridge a little while ago. It's posted here somewhere.

https://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=28361.0;attach=70894;image

Well, here's my latest double dogged bridgeplate, it's for a 114H 6/0
This time I custom made some dog springs like the ones used on the US113 bridgeplate.
Still using the 1/8" PEM stainless steel pins from McMaster-Carr for the dogs to spin on.
The dogs are cut from 304 S.S. .012" thick and are held on by e-clips. It's a drop-in and it sure sounds kinda neat!!!
It's almost infinite anti-reverse with Tom's S.S. gear sleeve and 10 tooth ratchet!!!

Peter

Swami805

Thanks Petah, yeah I saw yours too and 1 from Sal from 2011 where he used the bridge screws. Yours looks like a nice set up too. Trying to avoid using the bridge plate, a little out of my wheel house. Have you used it yet? Abused anything big with it?

Petah

Sheridan,
              Haven't been able to abuse it!!! Only hooked some some yellowtail on the troll last year!!! No tuna at all
on the troll last year!! Really strange as they were really concentrating on the micro baits!!! I put Tom's side plates on
it just recently and chompin at the bits to use it/abuse it on some fish, any fish right now!!!!

Peter

Alto Mare

Go for it Sheridan, you have a bunch of friends here that could help out... if needed.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.