New member! First reel build

Started by NCook, May 01, 2020, 04:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCook

Hello everyone!

Here from Michigan. I get to the ocean about 1-2 times a year and been trying to catch some large fish/ shark
I have read a bunch of post and decided to build a maxed penn 113.

Tight lines everyone.

I am looking for a 7+1 drag stack and a stainless steel yoke for a penn 113h if someone can point me in the right direction. If there is something better I am all ears

Thanks
Nick

xjchad

Nick,
Welcome!
I'd start by reading through the tutorials on the Senator section.
For parts, Mysticparts.com will have what you need and we have some great vendors here making/selling great upgrades!
It sounds like you have a great game plan, but be prepared for the rabbit hole!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Sharkb8

Welcome Nick from South Australia

Kim

bhale1

mo65

Welcome! And don't hesitate to holler if you get in a bind. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Hi Nick, personally I think for shark a 113H is a bit to small, a 114H is a much stronger reel, with a larger drag, & Welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

alantani

nick, welcome.  i'm not a shark fisherman, but these guys use much bigger gear.  to answer your question, though, you can find the yoke at smoothdrag.com and the drag washer kit is here.  https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN113H.aspx
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Donnyboat on May 01, 2020, 11:10:10 PM
Hi Nick, personally I think for shark a 113H is a bit to small, a 114H is a much stronger reel, with a larger drag, & Welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.

I agree with Don. 113h is a bit underpowered for sharking. Tie your knot loosely on the spool so your reel won't get destroyed when you get spooled in 2 seconds flat.

I suggest bigger is better, drag wise, and capacity also. A 9/0 can be had for under $90 and upgrade costs would be minimal. A12/0 will do if your real serious about landing a true beast

Welcome to the forum

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Swami805

Welcome from sunny so cal! Lots of great vendors in the for sale section here, worth a look for sure.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Welcome Nick.

Shark fishing with a little 4/0 reel. That takes some guts, skills and a lot of luck. Depending on what you are targeting, it may be enough.  ;)

Good luck on your build.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Benni3

NCook

Thank you  great info! Well I am in too deep now, gonna have to finish it and use it for something else then. I was planning on a 9/0 build open to other idea on reels. I guess before I get too far into the 4/0 build it has the external access to the drag. when is a stainless steel bridge and yoke needed? I already have a ss gear sleeve, ss eccentric, ss pinion and steel main gear. I have a 113hlw aluminum spool waiting it to arrive. Been looking at a tiburon frame.

Rancanfish

Now you're talking when you go 9/0.     But, it's easy to say something won't work.  If you search for Sal's 'tank' threads you will see what I mean.   If you are in a boat, have upgraded drags, and can follow a shark around, your 113h may be fine. Depends on the shark type too I suppose.

A well known set up seldom mentioned is the Daiwa 900H.  Comes stock with an aluminum frame and sideplates. 5 stack drags are available, SS gear sleeve from Cortez Conversions,  and now you have a tough reel for a lot less than the purty set ups cost.  I've had both the stock Penn 9/0 and Daiwa.
Dollar for dollar the Daiwa smokes the Penn.

Penn - $90 initial cost and lots of $$$ for upgrades.
Daiwa - $90 initial cost and some $$ for upgrades.

A Daiwa 6/0 is an even better value for around $60.   See where I'm going?

And welcome aboard.    P.S.  I have two cherry Daiwa's with upgraded drags and full rod clamp set ups I'll let a rookie have for $90 each.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain