New member! First reel build

Started by NCook, May 01, 2020, 04:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

Greetings, Nick, from Minnesota.

Frank

Benni3

Quote from: NCook on May 02, 2020, 12:53:39 PM
Thank you  great info! Well I am in too deep now, gonna have to finish it and use it for something else then. I was planning on a 9/0 build open to other idea on reels. I guess before I get too far into the 4/0 build it has the external access to the drag. when is a stainless steel bridge and yoke needed? I already have a ss gear sleeve, ss eccentric, ss pinion and steel main gear. I have a 113hlw aluminum spool waiting it to arrive. Been looking at a tiburon frame.
I have upgraded 4/0's but with out a power handle i was out guned on amber jack,,,, ;) but the 9/0 uncle sal built goliath groupers no problem,,,,, :D and the drag is so smooth you can target smaller fish no problem,,,,,,, ;D

CooldadE

Welcome from LA ...(Lower Antioch) Gateway to the California Delta...
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Brewcrafter

Welcome Nick from the SoCal Inland Empire!  You have a great starting point; the 113H is basically the 1969 Chevy Camaro of fishing reels.  And Chad summed it: Beware the Rabbit Hole!  ;D.  You can quickly end up with a sweet 113H and be asking yourself "hey, I could have bought a nice new 2-speed"  (Been there, done that, loving it!)  You're in the right group for help, advice, and guidance.  And I am partial to those old External Drag Penns, don't ask me why but all the Senators I have are from the era.- john

alantani

i will echo the warning about that rabbit hole!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

NCook

I appreciate all the help. Once I start a project I have to finish it. I already have a penn squall 30ld has been knobby magged, fathom II 15sd and a fierce II 8000. I have looked at 2 speeds never used one so I can't comment on them. I totally understand the rabbit hole.

Alto Mare

Welcome Nick! Don't give it too much thought on the rabbit hole., When you check out, You're going with empty pockets.
There are better option of reels for Sharks, a 9/0 when well equipped would be a great choice.

Enjoy your stay!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Nick!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Eddie K

Welcome to the forum from Summerfield, FL.  If sharks are your target, get a minimum of a Penn Senator 115L 9/0 and spool it with 100 lb test mono.

Ron Jones

Ok, I'm always the different guy.
There is sharking and then there is sharking. I have caught several 100+ thresher and mako sharks on a boat with asbestos dragged, factory stock 113Hs and never considered the reel's capability. Not all sharking is catching 11ft hammerheads from the Florida coast, We'd need more information to say what the correct classic Penn reel is.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Nick, your 4/0 will hold 650 yards of 80# braid.  Only the monofilament dinosaurs would say you need more line and a bigger reel.
Welcome.
-steve

xjchad

I agree with Ron and Steve.
It really depends on what sharks you're after.
A 113H with mild upgrades can handle most any shark to 8' no problem and some bigger.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

NCook

Thanks Guys! so here is what I collected so far my 113h build- 

pro challenger I have a ss gear sleeve, ss jack, (2) aluminum power handle
smooooth drag I have (2) ss yoke, (2) ss dogs, 5+1 drag upgrade
Tiburon frame 113hlw wide frame (just ordered)
penn 113hlw aluminum spool

reel had a steel main gear that I am going to reuse til I get ss main gears. I would be happy with a 6-8' shark but I be happy for what ever I can get. i do plan on using braid with mono on top either 80lb or 100lb. i have been looking at cortez plates as one of my side plates is cracked. money isnst the issue its the time to get back to the ocean. i enjoys upgrading this reel as i have finished all my projects. as soon as i finish this i will be grabing a bigger reel. probably forgetting something.

Ron Jones

That steel 3.2 gear will do you just fine for what you are after. I love the faster gears but honestly, any more money an you are buying a US Senator that is faster than what you can make your 4/0. Sounds like a fun build.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"