Steamed Sheeps head

Started by Hardy Boy, May 04, 2020, 03:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Well we were BS'ing on the Zoom call about Cedros and sheeps head came up which reminded me I still have some in the freezer. Last night I cooked up a pack and it was delicious. The Mrs said it was too much fish but there was not much for left overs! Steamed the fillets in a bamboo steamer with ginger and green onions (20 mins) and served it on rice with a ginger/garlic/ hoisen/saracha/sesame seed oil sauce and topped toasted sesame seeds. Simple good and healthy.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

ReelFishingProblems

That looks amazing.
I need fresh seafood

And now I need a bamboo steamer

Nick

El Pescador

DAMN Tod!!!!

Fantastic looking and I'm sure even better tasting.

You might be fill'n in for ChileRelleno - though Chile has not posted his cooking for quite some time.

Keep it going.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

MarkT

You had me worried when you said Sheeps head rather than sheephead!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Sheephead (Semicossyphus pulcher):   :)

Sheepshead (Archosargus probatocephalus):     :)

Sheep Head (Disgustigus Icelandi):     :o   

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Maxed Out

Looks delicious Todd

Almost time to show us how to cook fresh springers
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

Thanks .......................... darn spelling !! ???

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Alto Mare

Our Easter tradition we had them split and baked when I lived in Italy.
I could never eat them, but did have the brain with dome lemon juice.
If I try to do something like that today, my wife would kick me out🙂

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hardy Boy

0k that looks interesting but it's not steamed! Let's start a new roasted Sheep's head recipe.

Cheers

Todd
Todd

Dominick

When I grew up in NY most of the pizzerias sold baked sheep head.  We would pick at them, but I could not eat the eyeballs.  They are quite good.  The brains, tongue and cheeks were delicious.  If you put garlic and oregano on anything it would taste good.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

when I just saw the thread tittle I though about the "real deal" of Sheep head plate aka mexican Barbacoa or Birria.

when you talk about tacos you can never leave the Birria tacos out of the menu.
they are made out of cow or sheep or lamp, the recipe is the same, just different flavor of the meat.
its normal to see the whole head of the animal on the big cooking pot or even in the table, the cheff cook the whole animal but have special time to "open" the head and separate the tongue, eyeballs, cheeks, lips, brain and neck meats on separated containers so you can pick that meat and taste it on a plate or on a taco.

PS: my favorite are the eyeballs tacos   
The Baja Guy

Gobi King

That looks tasty, well done Todd,

Sheap head? tasty too when done right :-)

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Brewcrafter

Todd - That looks great!  I've cooked a lot of things in my little bamboo steamer basket but never thought of fish until seeing your post.  It's on the "todo" list now! - john

Hardy Boy

Ok enough of the reel sheeps heads !! Must be Asian inspired cooking week at our house because my wife made this last night. Thai red curry spot prawns (caught in March see thread) on noodles. Very tasty ............... getting kind of healthy around here ........ might have to have a big steak or plate of ribs soon!! 

Cheers:

Toddd
Todd

gstours

Todd, the prawns look great,   I'll bet they are sweet and don't need lots of hot sauce?  Thanks.
    You have a nice touch with your pictures too. 👍