fabric washer drag grease

Started by elcarlstono, May 05, 2020, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Hi, I need to service the drag on my 4400SS.  It has the single fabric washer and appears to be in good shape, but it is very dry and the old grease is flaking off. What is the recommended grease for these types of washers? Finding conflicting info on the web as to whether i can just use penn reel grease or not.
Thanks! 

foakes

The drag washer can be cleaned if it is still good -- has no shiny flat spots -- then dried -- after drying apply Cal's drag grease on both sides -- but not too thick or messy -- work the grease into the weaves of the washer with your fingers -- and leave a thin coating on the washer.

However, if it were mine, I would get a new washer from Mystic Parts for $4.20 + shipping -- then it would be at maximum control, smoothness, and performance -- in case I was fighting a large fish.

These drags are HT-100's -- a type of carbon fiber.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

elcarlstono

Thanks, Fred.  This is my young son's reel that he uses for general fishing, both surf and inshore, so I don't need "performance", just need it to not be sticky.  Cleaning it off helped a great deal getting it back closer to "dry". I've read some good things about Cal's so I'll probably get some of that for general maintenance on all my reel's drags.

Bryan Young

Quote from: elcarlstono on May 06, 2020, 02:57:27 PM
Thanks, Fred.  This is my young son's reel that he uses for general fishing, both surf and inshore, so I don't need "performance", just need it to not be sticky.  Cleaning it off helped a great deal getting it back closer to "dry". I've read some good things about Cal's so I'll probably get some of that for general maintenance on all my reel's drags.

Sticky and jerky drags is a performance issue, especially for surf and in-short fishing if the drags can get wet, and even worse if used in saltwater environments.

Drags that become wet with water can get jerky particularly during a fish run.  Drag washers soaked with water, as the water heats up, will push the fibers of the drag washer due to expansion of the water as it heats us non-linearly, creating jerky drags, and leads to spit hooks or broken leaders.  If he keeps the reel dry, then it will not be an issue.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hamachi

Cals purple or Shimano drag grease I find works better on the lighter spinners such as yours. Slather the carbon fiber up, don't forget the edges, completely saturate, but not too much and you should be good to go!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!