Penn 112H upgrade

Started by Martin610, May 10, 2020, 06:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

every 112h i've had has spool bushings, same as a jigmaster..

RowdyW

The 112 H2 made in china has ball bearings.

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on May 11, 2020, 06:46:24 PM
Quote from: vilters on May 11, 2020, 06:27:07 PM
every 112h i've had has spool bushings, same as a jigmaster..

For the love of God...I had the 112H2 on the brain...I'm going back to bed.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

vilters

Quote from: RowdyW on May 11, 2020, 06:46:24 PM

interesting, i've not seen one yet. i have seen the chinese 309, but not fished it yet...

Martin610

Thanks for all the input. Thanks to Mo for opening up a reel to help us figure this out.

I got my dial calipers out to take some measurements. Full disclosure, I am not a machinist, so my measuring is probably not exact. I do think it's close enough to shed some light on the issue.

This first photo is a picture of caliper dial measuring the shaft length of the OEM spool that was installed in my reel when I bought it:

Sorry about the glare, but I think its still readable.

This second picture is with the new spool I bought from Mystic Parts. It's almost an eighth of an inch longer.

As mentioned the new spool works perfectly.

Maybe someone familiar with the Pro Challenger gear set will weigh in. Right now, it looks like the PC gear set requires the longer spool shaft. Regular OEM spool doesn't appear to be compatible.

Has anyone else tried this gear set? I think it's fairly new on the market, but I'm not sure.

-martin

Alto Mare

I have two 112H spools in my possession and both are spot on to your second dimension of 13/16" ( 0.780" )

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Martin610

Thanks Sal. That really helps. It looks like there must have been a manufacturing change at some point and the spool went to .780 of an inch. The Pro Challenger gear set will work with any spool of that dimension drive shaft. I assume that mine is an older model, but its hard to tell.

I think we have the answer now.

This is a terrific web site!

Thanks to all.

-martin

Gfish

So, what's it all mean? People's talkin bout Seaboy's and L. B. 65's, etc.? Were the shorter spool shafts for bushing 112 H's and the longer ones for ball bearing reels? For now, I'm glad I don't have one of these Senators, but Mysticparts seems to know what to send.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

The two spools you see above came from two standard 112h with bushings, one is shiny and one dull... probably 20 years apart.
I took two reels apart so you guys could have my answer on my finding, for what it's worth and you're welcomed by the way, Gfish.

I do not know anything a bout the 112H2 made in China, I don't own any.
The only 112h with bearings that I know of are the Custom kits from Tom and Tiburon.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

It's not hard to figure out...just go back and read all the posts and you'll see that I screwed up everything I said except the fact that the Seaboy 190 spool has a shorter shaft. Then the fellows corrected me. That odd spool that Martin started with is just one of those anomalies.  :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Martin610

Yes, it looks like the spool I started with is some sort of oddity. It is marked 112H and looks original, but it does have a shorter shaft. Worked perfectly with the original gear set.

Mystic Parts was just as surprised as I was. Bottom line, before someone tries to do n gear set upgrade on the 112H, they should get a measurement on the old spool if they are going to use it. It has to be 13/16th's to work properly. The replacement spool I bought had the correct shaft length and worked fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out. We now have the info for someone else if they need it.

-martin

vilters

glad you figured it out and thanks for posting. may save someone else time and frustration. the 112h is one of my favorite reels.

Gfish

Cool! Thanks Martin, Mo and Sal. Original 112H was a bushing reel. Possibly 2 diffrent head-plate side shaft lengths. Gotta be 13/16" total length to work with Pro Challenger gear sets.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

MeanMachine

This ancient spool from a Penn 112H measured shaft is 0.793"  Got me one of those kits yesterday from Mystic without knowing about this. I'm gonna be looking for one of those longer shafted spools. :-\