DAM Quick 110 Bail Trip

Started by happyhooker, May 10, 2020, 07:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

I was fortunate enough to have another kindly angler give me a 110.  Seemed to work OK, but bail would not stay open.  Could see bail trip lever did not move after the bail was opened by hand, but you could use a finger to push the lever into the slot to then hold the bail open.  Bail closed properly upon cranking the reel. Opened up the reel far enough to take a peek at the bail trip mechanism.  There was a torsion spring with the coil under the bail trip lever screw that had one end in the hole on the lever and the other end just sort of out in the middle of nowhere in the rotor.  Spring was exerting no tension on the lever, so it wouldn't snap into place as the bail was opened.

Checked various 110 schematics, and all that I looked at showed on extension spring, with one end on the lever and the other over a post on the rotor.  The one I have has a little metal dot on the rotor that might be the broken remains of a post; I find it difficult to believe the post would break off, but I suppose it could have, or maybe was intentionally removed in the past.

Anybody aware of more than one type of bail trip on these reels?  Just wondering if there might have been a torsion spring variety at one time.

Frank

foakes

Hi Frank --

There is a nub that has broken off the inner part of the rotor.

2 fixes --

-- Thread a tiny screw from the bottom-side of the rotor upwards

-- Replace the rotor

Both are doable fixes -- the second fix is a sure thing.  The first fix works about 75% of the time -- but may or may not hold up long term.  There isn't much spring pressure on this nub -- but it is an important part for function.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

If you have any taps a short 6-32 or 8-32 bolt screwed up from the underside like Fred's screw suggestion would work great, too. The end would be flat and the thread would would keep the spring from slipping off the top. A little thread lock or JB Weld could also be used to keep the bolt tight. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

Thanks, Tommy & Fred, for the responses.  The pic looks just like the 110 I have, except the post is broken off, no spring (of course) and the trip lever has been altered a bit to (try to) use the torsion spring.  I have a tiny eyeglasses screw and a small extension spring that will hopefully work a fix.

Frank