Proper Torque and lubrication - nuts and bolts

Started by Gobi King, May 12, 2020, 02:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I remember using a torque wrench on my Harley's axle nuts...and they had cotter pins. They said to always use a new pin, don't re-use. Never had one back off...but I broke about half of the spokes in the back wheel once. I was standin' on it, just hit fourth gear, and it started slapping back and forth against the fender. I thought I was gonna buy the farm before I got that thing shut down! :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sabaman1

Quote from: RowdyW on May 14, 2020, 04:02:21 PM
I only use a torque wrench for head bolts & crank & rod bolts. All other torques are built into my right arm. For very large bolts & nuts the torque is built into both arms, legs, & back, with a good foot brace.  ;D ;D     Rudy

Rudy, Im right there with you on that!
JIM

Keta

I have worked jobs that used a lot of stainless bolts and we used torque wrenches to keep from breaking the bolts.  On steam turbines we used high strength alloy bolts and torqing was required.  One machine at the algae processor I work for now is a extremely high RPM centrifigal screen and every bolt on the rotor gets torqed to the proper torq specs.  It is something we do not want to come apart.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gobi King

Most torque specs probably exceed the required amount by a lot.

For precision torque like Lee mentioned, aircrafts are one, the assembly guys use electric screw drivers with precision preset torque. as so vehicle engine manufacturers, but I am pretty sure Detroit's auto makers have a guys with a split beam torque wrench check the final torque on the head bolts from the youtube videos I have seen.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan