Why I’m a vintage tackle enthusiast

Started by The Great Maudu, May 18, 2020, 03:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

The old vintage gear is still viable if in good working order. I think the reason I like it is because you have to be a little more involved with the process of catching and landing fish. You have to use a different skill set than you use with modern tackle. When I catch a nice fish on vintage rods and reels I get more of a sense of satisfaction. I've caught enough fish to last a lifetime so I get enjoyment from the process of fishing about as much as I do catching. And if I'm going to get shutout I still enjoy looking at and using the stuff. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about. Last summer I was shark fishing from the beach using a Pflueger  Templar 1420 1/2 and a bamboo game rod. If you've never heard the clicker run on one of these this short video will give you the experience.

Cor

Makes me nervous when it takes soo long to stop.
Cornelis

oc1

Well, look who's back.  Nice rig you have there.
-steve

Reeltyme

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Pflueger Templar with its double dogs sounds like an angel singing! The prettiest sounding reel I've ever heard!

The Great Maudu

Quote from: oc1 on May 18, 2020, 06:09:25 AM
Well, look who's back.  Nice rig you have there.
-steve

Thanks Steve, I got distracted. I'm finally back down on the Florida panhandle to fish and brought that rig with me. I took the video a year and a half ago to post here, but "somebody spoke and I went into a dream"
It's amazing how fast the time goes by when you're having fun.

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Reeltyme on May 18, 2020, 10:32:07 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Pflueger Templar with its double dogs sounds like an angel singing! The prettiest sounding reel I've ever heard!

I agree. The Templar's and the Atlapac's Might be my favorites of the old timers. Pflueger was a great company.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

The Great Maudu

Hey Sheridan thanks for the welcome back! Good hearing from you.

happyhooker

Not sure why I like the vintage equipment.  Nostalgia for the old days when I couldn't afford any of the "good stuff".  I like working on reels, and it only makes sense to work on the old timers that were made to last, rather than the newer "throwaway" models.

Frank