Dead Long bolt Newell

Started by Newell Nut, May 18, 2020, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I saw this reel on ebay with a broken long bolt. Checked my stash of parts and decided to offer $85 for it and got it knowing it would be trouble but this is the worst long bolt Newell I have ever run across. Normally you would think it had been fished really hard and neglected. This reel is odd. The bridge system looks nearly new, the bearings are nice and clean, the handle was almost new looking. As clean as some parts were every single long bolt was seized up tight and I had to cut every piece apart with my dremel which was no worry since I have replacement parts. I just don't understand why people can't wash equipment after use. That is all this reel ever needed. I just got it apart and will follow up later with the success story since I am going offshore tomorrow for my 71st birthday. Not the best conditions but I need to get out and wet a hook.

Crow

Well, good luck, and Happy Birthday !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Happy birthday! Hope Off shore is kind to you.
  Still not bad for $85, Guts are worth that. I've had 2 with the pinion corroded onto the spool shaft in Newells from that time frame. I think part of it is crummy SS too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

Happy Birthday.  Hope the fish are tougher for you than a Newell.  ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Lauren VanDerWeide

Happy birthday, Dwight. I hope the fishing was great!
It's better to have fished and lost, than to have never fished at all

bluefish69

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bulldawg

Happy Birthday. Catch em up.

RowdyW

Happy Birthday Dwight! You've got some nasty weather coming up the coast. We are getting hit with it right now in SE part of the state.             Rudy

Newell Nut

Rudy,
We are watching the forecast closely. It will be okay tomorrow but not the best conditions. Then the rest of the week goes down hill. May has been terrible so far. We are going fish one of the county reefs that has a couple ships sunk there. We have done good there before and it is just a 17 mile run.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Time to check my list and pack my lunch. See you tomorrow evening.

Dwight

Shark Hunter

Best of Luck Dwight.
Happy Birthday my Friend! ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jkel

Good luck tomorrow Dwight and have a Happy Birthday!

Sharkb8

Good luck and happy birthday

Kim

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Happy birthday Dwight!

What do you think was going through Carl Newell's mind when he designed that system, and the plastic bearing adjusters?!