Dave’s, octopus jig heads

Started by gstours, May 21, 2020, 03:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: gstours on June 09, 2020, 04:48:54 PM
Thanks ya,all about alloys and temperatures.   I do have a point n shoot thermometer and new really thought of using it for this application.   Butt I will.    I just poured some more too before I got this information.     I did enlarge the sprue some from when I got it and it's pouring good.   The dowels fallout some,   Butt I've poured at least 25 PCs and it's still going good.  
  I've learned to pull the clamps off quite soon, and crack the mold open as soon as possible to eliminate as much heat to the mold as possible and this seems to help.
   I,D be interested in purchasing a 16oz mold from you and try it with now more experience.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and knowledge everyone.   Heaven can wait,  go fishing 🎣.

Curious as to how much you needed to open up the sprue.  I would like to incorporate this into the next iteration.  

I would like to get a mold or two into your hands, just need to figure out the best way to do it.   Also would you prefer a finished mold or a mold master (mold for the mold), so you can pour your own molds?   PM me and we can figure it all out.   Might be easier to talk live.

Quote from: thorhammer on June 09, 2020, 06:48:08 PM
I've poured thousands of jig heads but this stuff has my attention- great thread! We just started deep dropping squid- I gotta think these heads with a glow skirt and a whole squid would get nailed, and i like the idea of being able to use assist-rigged circle hooks when dead-sticking as opposed to a molded in j-hook. keep it up gents!

Hey John,

As Gary noted.  I rig an assist on the extra eye right above the skirt.   With a thick body and a silicone mold, the practical limit is about 12 ounces with pure lead,  but there are a few tricks to push it a bit further.

Those jig hooks cast into a traditional leadhead have a lot of advantages when you are actively working a lure like a swimbait.   Agree that for dragging a whole squid, they are not so optimal.

I also have been working on some weighted whole squid delivery thingies.    How big are your squid, and how deep are you dropping?  How much lead are you using now?  Do you need to fish tight to the bottom?   Maybe we can collaborate on something if you are interested.

-J

gstours

As you might have figgered sooner or later another test of Daves jig heads wood be shown.   Heres a good fun one.

The paint is failing badly,  butt :)

El Pescador

Gary,

You use far less bait on these smaller jigs than we used during our days fishing with you.

And I see a white hulled boat, with teak steps, NOT the USS Maiko for sure???

Who you fishing with?????

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Yes, glad to friends here, there,  it's a friend I've met on the water.  Nice boat 🚣‍♀️ butt way too clean 🧽 to be comfortable in!   Bloody decks, sunshine 🌞 a terrible combination.!!

gstours

Here a change Dave thought would help,  increase the sprue size.

gstours

It's not difficult to trim the waste when cooled and pours very good now.

gstours

12 oz.  very nice design.   Great clean smooth finish.  Fishes good for me.  Thanks Dave.

gstours

Most of the degradation is from the heat I,m pretty sure.  The pins for the eyes have became loose and of course pull out of the sockets when spreading the mold.  I try to slightly split open the mold as soon as possible preventing the increase of heat.   
There is a split also as I was sucking air at first when pouring,  a backing of wood helped under the hand screw clamps.   This split has not gotten worse for 20 pours so spreading the pressure out did help in not sucking air.   
  Catching fish on your creations is fun!