Seized reel knob

Started by oldmanjoe, May 23, 2020, 03:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I have a Mitchel 624 knob that is seized .       It has spent time drowning in jar full of pb blaster , about 3 months because i forgot about it.
   I tried again and it still locked .   Bjc lighter under the blade and a little smoke and bubbling out of the oil port , knob moved a little  .

Kept rocking it back and forth and free at last ..  Not   The post was spinning in the blade .
  Center punch the mushroom to tighten it up and did a few more heat cycles with the lighter and drownings in the pb blaster.

Tried again , same result post spinning in blade .
     Off to the drill press,   I drill a hole deep enough for a 6/32 screw .    I than used a 1/4 inch drill bit to cut the peeing off the post
     A drift punch and hammer  later the post is back in the pb blaster
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

I felt that if i drill the hole first , the blade was going to help me see that i was drilling straight .

I finally got it a part .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Cleaned up the post , tapped the hole with 6/32 and cut a brass screw to size .
  A little  lube and back together again .    :) :)

foakes

Nice work, Joe!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

Thank you Gents .    A little side note , I did not clean the out side of the brass tube for a reason .
   I wanted to keep the snug fit between knob and tube .

Donnyboat

Thanks Joe, nice pics & great info, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Good job....I think it's worthy of a sticky thread......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!