Help! Bantam black magnum 2 speed

Started by kahawai, May 26, 2020, 03:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kahawai

Just received this vintage baitcaster.
Cranking was stiff so I've taken it apart.
I can't figure out how the 2 speed gearing works so I don't know if something is jammed or spoilt.
I don't want to force It in case I break something.
Anyone serviced one before?

kahawai

Here's what I think is supposed to happen -
The toothed sleeve is supposed to move up or down to engage the top or bottom gears depending on the speed selected.
However there is a bearing that cannot be taken off the shaft and prevents the toothed sleeve from coming down far enough to engage the lower gear.
I'm tempted to force the bearing out, but am not sure if I'll break it. I'm not even sure if that's the issue.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rancanfish

I'm too chicken to tear apart my 2 speeds, whatever brand.  Be sure to post up a pic of your reel.  I'm a big fan of Bantam Mags but don't remember a two speed.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

kahawai

the reel is is pieces at the moment. I'll put it together temporarily and snap a pic later.
I'm asking around if forcing the bearing off is the right thing to do... when I'm brave (or frustrated) enough ill take a hammer & screwdriver, or a dremel to the bearing...i also need to check if a replacement bearing is available.

Rancanfish

Measure that bearing beforehand.  It might be hard to get measurements after dremel-ition.  (Ha, I just made up a new word).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

kahawai

Ok... I managed to remove the bearing without breaking it take the reel apart, clean, lube and re-assemble(most complicated reel I've opened up).
But...the gear shift is touch and go. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's stiff and winding feels stuck.
Anyone here know how to fix this?