Yet another Grouper Special Starts now

Started by Capt Bob, May 28, 2020, 06:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Bob

Well I thought I'd get started with my build as I await parts.

I started (as does everyone) with a 113 Black. This was the first Penn Senator I owned and purchased circa late 70s. I fished it through the 80s until while doing maintenance IIRC I dropped the spool which resulted in a bent shaft. I tried to straighten it up but it never was right again so....I boxed it up and it has sat ever since. Fast forward to last week when my "brother" in Miami sent me some pics of his collection and asked about the Senator. One thing led to another and now I'm here.

I didn't take a pic with it fully assembled but here is a start of the take down.

This one shows what appears as a steel main gear

The reel itself is still in good shape, spool aside so I thought I could get a little practice in with a build with the help of everyone here. I have purchased a NOS 29M-66 spool and scored one of Ted's (Maxed Out) Ohana narrow kits in black so I'm off to a great start. As I progress, I'll post up my progress.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and inspiration.

Gfish

Cool!, lookin forward to it, captain. Are those your wife's baking pans? If so, she knows, right?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Hardy Boy

Reel looks good. What the wife does not know won't hurt them !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Capt Bob

mo65

Quote from: Capt Bob on May 28, 2020, 06:50:09 PM
I have purchased a NOS 29M-66 spool and scored one of Ted's (Maxed Out) Ohana narrow kits in black so I'm off to a great start. As I progress, I'll post up my progress.

That sounds like a great start! Enjoy the tinkering...and holler if ya get in a bind. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Good luck with your project! They're fun to do.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Capt Bob

Well, I have been gathering parts and cleaning up the ol' 113.

Capt Bob

Since everyone has seen assembly pics, I'll just post a few of the finished product.

That's enough really but I would like to offer my thanks to all who helped and especially to Ted (Maxed Out) for his guidance along the way. Well there's my first build. Now to mount it on a retro fiberglass rod.

Thanks again everyone!

xjchad

Nice work Bob!
I've got a Grouper Special in the queue for myself as well!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Maxed Out

Nice build Capt Bob !! Next step is a nice power handle and a black Cortez rod clamp

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Capt Bob

Yes, while I like the retro look, a power handle would be a nice touch. I have the Cortez Clamp.

Time will tell.

Thanks again for your help.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

I'm with ya Bob, I too am a fan of the retro look. I'm certain you'll enjoy using it !!

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Capt Bob

Well I decided to go with a Delrin washer under the main gear so I gave Dawn a call at Smooooooth Drags. She set me up with what I needed for both the GS and both my 113H models. Now on to upgrading those.

This Forum makes it so easy to spend money.

Thanks everyone!

Donnyboat

Good work Bob, nothing like catching a few nice fish after you have serviced your own reels, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat