Randy Candy is Dandy

Started by Maxed Out, June 05, 2020, 01:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

25+ years ago Accurate stepped into the custom aftermarket reel component business built on the platform of Penn reels, and using many Penn factory components. The first set of reels were fully built at the factory for the marketing company they hired. The salesman that worked for that marketing company was handed 9 full accurate conversions to use as samples to show perspective retailers. He took those 9 reels home and instantly put 8 of them in a display case. He only took one with him to show clients. (his words, not mine). I likely mighta done the same thing LOL

This 114hn was one of the 8 reels from his display. Randy and I did some horse trading years ago and that's how he ended up with it. I knew he still had it and tossed him an offer and a few days later, here it is back where it started. Not a nick or scratch anywhere. A true 9.9999 on Randy Pauly grading scale. For those not familiar with Randy, he is "vintage offshore tackle" and if he doesn't have a reel you're looking for, then it probably doesn't exist.

Thanks for the cool advertisement too Randy !! It's the same reel pictured
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

redsetta

Sensational - and what a terrific story!
It's found its spiritual home Ted, stoked for ya.
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

Very nice, I've got a 113 looks just like it.  OOPs, have to take that back mines powder blue.

milne

Absolute Reel P@@N Ted.....
I'm really looking forward to receiving it's gold stablemate ( from Randy as well), which will be another of the original reels you obtained...

But, that Ice blue puppy you got right there, is a stunning looking reel...
Would look superb in anyones collection, Awesome...

Col

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you for the plug Ted! 

Colin, I wasn't holding out on you.  I had not planned to ever sell that reel, but since Ted sent it to me in the first place, I couldn't say no.

I think that you are going to love your Goldy.  It is in good company.  It's no accident that many of the great big game reels are gold: Fin-Nor, International, Tiagra, Trinidad, Torque, etc.

milne

Hi Randy,  I sure will luv the goldy version, I'm sure.....
             Then it's just a case of tempting Ted  ;D....
No, it's great it's back with Ted where it came from,but it must have been a hard decision to part with it Randy...

Ted,  Out of the bunch you originally purchased, what were some of the variants, ie colours etc ???

Col

Maxed Out

Hi Col, yep this is fun !!

I ended up with 7 of the original 9 sample reels. I think 3 were narrow 6/0 and the other 4 were jigmaster 500.

Here are those 4 jigmasters. They all now reside with new owners to help fund other projects of mine, but sure was fun having them for a while !!

milne

Wow Ted,
              Very Very nice indeed.
           I can understand the need to "shift" to "fund",,, it's a natural process I guess.
     But your right, that would have been a sight to be looking at all 7 when you had them...
I shall add to this thread, a photo of the Goldy when it arrives,  very fitting for it to be on this thread..

Thanks for sharing Ted, stunning reels...

Col

mo65

This is just plain awesome! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Another homer out of the ballpark.  Well deserved Ted.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

milne

Well it's only fitting that this one gets put on this thread, a stable mate to Teds absolute beauty !!
These reels once lived together  ( and I'm working on getting them reunited again one day  ;D).

My photo's aren't as good as the ones Randy put up and don't do this reel justice. It sat next to me while driving around for work today, after picking it up at the post shop,,,, But, it's Ok, I had the heater on when the temperature dropped in the arvo and it was sitting on some soft padding  ;D

Truly a gorgeous reel in person.... thank you Randy..... thank you Ted...

Shelf or boat ???  Hmmmm

col

Maxed Out

Amazing condition Col

Built 25+ years ago and never had line on it. Not even one tiny ding from the shift lever. Life is good !

I found a picture of our 6/0 reels sitting together prior to them being separated by thousands of miles and a vast ocean or 2

Ted

David Hall

Nobody asked but these are so gorgeous that I cannot resist: My vote is, DO NOT EVER FISH ANY OF THESE REELS!  there will never be a reel like any of these ever again and there are thousands of fishable ones very similar if not just like them, but without the provenance of these beauties.  they are simply to much to ignore.
what an absolute pleasure to read this thread.
thanks for sharing guys.