Half Moon Bay to Morro Bay!

Started by alantani, June 06, 2020, 10:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Wednesday in Half Moon Bay!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Today in Morro Bay!!!

ReelFishingProblems

Looks like a nice day on the water

Brewcrafter

foakes

Good ones, Alan!

Did you motor your GW South from Half Moon -- past Big Sur -- then further to Morro Bay?

Or did you trailer?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Great fishing conditions.Them fish were waitin for you and others!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Benni3

Wow,,,,, :D that looks like a fantastic trip,,,,,,,, ;D

pjstevko

Great fish Alan!

I'm dying to go fishing!

Jimmer

Rockfish and crab - I'm drooling.  Thanks Alan - Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

at the beginning off last week, i decided to make a jailbreak.  like everyone else, this covid thing has had me locked up now for almost 14 weeks.   i checked in with mike cabanas and reserved a spot on the hulicat for wednesday.  the salmon bite had died, so it was rockfish and crab.  they can run with only 12 people, so it's $200 for salmon, $150 for crab only, $150 for rockfish only, and $200 for the crab/rockfish combo.  we're doing the combo!!!! 

wednesday, 6/3/2020 - back on the hulicat!!!

rockfish is always easy.  for shallow water, i still use a trap rig and whole squid.  this is how you get the big ones!!!!

crab was easy, too!

the new deckhand, a japanese kid named ensei, did a really nice job of cleaning the fish.  and when we got back to the dock, i used my "crack'n crab cleaner" to clean the crab at the harbor so i don't have to deal with the mess at home.  i dropped off the fish and a couple of crab at the "restaurant" next door, then cooked, cooled, bagged and got the rest of the crab on ice for my parents.  so about that restaurant next door.  check it out!

thursday, 6/4/2020 - a quick drive to fresno.  dad is doing great.  89 years old, the heart attacks were a year and a half ago.  he's not working the farm anymore, but keeps up with all the current events, takes his own meds, but still can't beat my mom at cards anymore.  he was telling me that he lost $84 the last game!

unless you run your own pots, the hulicat out of half moon bay looks like the best bet.  these things were beautiful and it something my parents really enjoy.  tom, mike ensei, thank you so very much!!!

these two are ruthless.....

friday, 6/5/2020 - from fresno, it was an easy drive to the coast.  i met up with big tim at the cayucos house.  this stuff is pretty effective in killing viruses. 

saturday, 6/6/2020 - on board the starfire!  there are a couple of operations out of morro bay.  we were on board the starfire out of morro bay landing.  they run with 20 guys at $100 each.  it's a great bargain, but i'm not sure it's sustainable.  they are definitely going to have to bump their prices.  there were only 20 people on the boat.  tons of room. 

fishing was quick and easy.  it's just really deep!!!!  we were fishing in 300 feet of water.  fortunately, i now have a set of daiwa tanacom 500 electric reels.  the guys all around were really hatin' on me!!!!  everytime the skipper wanted to move, these poor guys would have to crank like hell.  me?  i just flip a switch and the line come straight up

i grabbed this picture when the guys were cleaning fish.  i had 10 of these in just a couple of hours!!!!

sunday, 6/7/2020 - only mildly hung over, i drove back home, dropped off all 10 vermillion to the "restaurant" next door in the afternoon, then headed back over for dinner. 

and after spending 5 days goofing off, i am WAAAAYYYYYY behind!  back to work!!!

Gobi King

The dishes look yummy!
Crab and fish on the same trip, nice.

How did you power the electric reels?

I never had D - crabs,
Blue crabs in AL, are they similar?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

Nice looking seafood.  Parents are looking healthy.  Which is good.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

Gobi King

Got it, 2 pack with charger, nice price. Thanks,
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

Thats some fun fishing ! The zoom call with you and big Tim was fun also ......................... you probably remember about as much as I do ! ;D

I'm going to put a scotty plug on my electric then I don't have to worry about a seperate battery.

I would say that dungeness crab is the best crab I have ever eaten (including blue) although king crab is great once in a while it is not as good as dungies .....................IMHO.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd