Grilled Halibut Cheeks for Dinner

Started by El Pescador, June 07, 2020, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

While in Gustavus, AK fishing with Gary, he showed Dominick and me how he does Halibut Cheeks.

He used a VERY sharp flexible boning knife to cut out as much cheek meat as possible, he used a very low angle cut for the dissection.

Using this process, with two knife cuts, you get this!!!!  a HALIBUT CHEEK :o

Remember to trim off the skin.

You end up with two soft-as-pudding halibut cheeks, ready for dinner!!!!!

And here is my recipe for Halibut Cheeks -

build an aluminum foil boat to fit the size of the fish pieces.  

Here I did another pack of frozen halibut for leftovers

Then some olive oil in the bottom of the boat to keep the fish from sticking

Salt & Pepper to your taste.

Fire up the Weber grill to 500 degrees

Place the aluminum foil boat with the halibut cheeks inside, and cook them.

I use an instant-read thermometer, and when the thick part of the cheek hits 130 degrees, I take it off the grill,

Plate it up with my dinner and here you go!!!!

Halibut Cheeks with brown rice, steamed artichoke, and a splash of red wine.  DONE!!!!

A DELICIOUS Dinner from Gary the BUTT MAN, Gustavus, AK!!!!   TANKS BUDDY BOY!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Hardy Boy

Can't go wrong with halibut cheeks !!; looks great. Don't forget your ling cod cheeks and even salmon cheeks if you cook one with the head on. I used to cut cheeks off of yelloweye back when we could keep them.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Donnyboat

Wayne thanks for the run down, very interesting, makes my mouth water, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Cuttyhunker

First time I had them was an overnight at Bandon Dunes just south of Coos Bay. Outstanding! If you get to the southern right coast seek out the grouper cheeks..........
Doomed from childhood

Dominick

Yum Butt cheeks...brown rice...yuck. Wine yum.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Brewcrafter

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Cheeks are the bomb. We always take the time to get cheeks from butts and lings. The texture is almost like crab meat, butt better !! Thanks for the tease Wayne
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

josa1

Well, that certainly looks yummy!

josa1

Dominick

What Wayne did not say is I gave those cheeks to him out of my stash.  You're welcome Wayno...  :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

scrinch

Looks great! Probably only takes 5 minutes or so to get them up to temperature, right? My rule of thumb in a 400F oven is 10 minutes for a halibut steak 1 inch thick.

Gobi King

Those cheeks from zee buttman look .... ;-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

El Pescador

Quote from: scrinch on June 08, 2020, 05:58:04 PM
Looks great! Probably only takes 5 minutes or so to get them up to temperature, right? My rule of thumb in a 400F oven is 10 minutes for a halibut steak 1 inch thick.

Scrinch!

Just about 4-5 minutes in a 500-degree gas BBQ.

The instra read thermometer has completed changed my grilling, I know now, it is SPOT ON each and every time.

The idea of your web between your thumb and finger is BUNK.

Man, were the cheeks delicious.  

The other two pieces took 7-8 minutes, and when they hit 130 degrees - they are always perfect.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Maxed Out

You're right Wayne, halibut is one fish you never want to overcook. It will get stringy and chewy instead of tender and flakey.

Not sure about getting cheeks from a guy with a pink speedo  :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!