Grilled Halibut Cheeks for Dinner

Started by El Pescador, June 07, 2020, 01:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Ted,

I agree wholeheartedly,

and checked the USDA Safe Minimum Internal Temperature for fish and the number is 145 degrees!!!!!!

145 - that would taste like shoe leather!!!!

Our own Jigmaster501 has fish at 145 degrees for a safe internal temperature.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19112.0

For me, I'll take the risk for a better-tasting food product.

Just My Opinion.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jigmaster501

The actual time temperature requirement is 145F for a 15 second hold at temperature (basically instantaneous) which would yield a 3 log reduction of salmonella and a slightly less of a reduction of Listeria monocytogenes.  For instance, the same 3 log reduction at 130F, the hold time would be 51 minutes.

The under cooking of fish (not ground up) is not that unsafe as the pathogens would be on the surface which would be exposed to much greater heat. Ground fish, no because the pathogens have been ground into the center.

The issue here is parasites. After spending what seems to be a lifetime in food safety, many people who process food daily know where to look up if the species they wish to partially cook is a parasite containing species.  See FDA  Fish and Fishery Product Hazards and Controls Guidance- March 2020- Chapter 3).

There are many different parasites that can be found on fish, depending on the waterway, time of year, etc, etc. For the average person, figuring this out is like pulling teeth. Some parasites die at lower temps and some don't.

For parasite containing species, that have not been frozen at -4F for 7 days (continuous), you have to assume that parasites are present in the product and must be destroyed with heat.

There are lower temps for shorter times but those are not practical for us cooking at home.

The stringy and chewiness are a factor of waterloss and mineral loss. Poor harvesting conditions (insanitary conditions, improper evisceration, not rapidly chilled, etc) can cause rapid degradation. Improper freezing and thawing will make it worse.

If you are starting with properly cared for fish which have been handled correctly from harvest to your stove, 145F will not destroy your quality. Salting after cooking instead of while cooking can help with this and the use of moist heat can help maintain quality in delicate fish such as halibut. I generally like to cook halibut to 150F as I don't like fish gummy on the bone. To me, the bones provide so much flavor. Obviously, it would be a pain with the halibut cheeks...

145F will kill all viable parasites.

BTW, Anisakiasis (from Anisakis spp) is an asymptomatic condition is Japan where many people have tiny holes all through their intestines from the Anisakis parasitic worms penetrating their intestines from the consumption of raw fish that have not been properly frozen or cooked. It is usually passed off as gas pains or indigestion but it is far from that. Parasitic worms can make it into the human heart. It is usually found after the condition has manifested itself for quite some time.

I tell you what, when we are allowed to roam the country again without masks, temperature scans, and who knows what else, lets all meet up somewhere and I will cook a big fish dinner for everyone... I just cooked up a turbot (Greenland halibut) last week. It was incredible in the oven AND I cooked it to 150F.....lol

After all of this insanity, it would be nice to meet up with people, fish, and just eat.

After 3 weeks at the Javits Center, months of Covid responses, and generally lunacy over the past few months, I had to get out and go fishing on a boat.  I wore a mask all day and it was ok. Weather was cool and had a nice day.

Eugene

El Pescador

Quote from: jigmaster501 on June 09, 2020, 01:02:54 AM
145F will kill all viable parasites.

I tell you what, when we are allowed to roam the country again without masks, temperature scans, and who knows what else, lets all meet up somewhere and I will cook a big fish dinner for everyone... I just cooked up a turbot (Greenland halibut) last week. It was incredible in the oven AND I cooked it to 150F.....lol

After all of this insanity, it would be nice to meet up with people, fish, and just eat.

After 3 weeks at the Javits Center, months of COVID responses, and generally lunacy over the past few months, I had to get out and go fishing on a boat.  I wore a mask all day and it was ok. Weather was cool and had a nice day.

Eugene

Eugene,

A great scientific explanation for cooking fish to 145 degrees.

AND I FOR ONE will be your first dinner attendee to enjoy your Turbot cooked to 150 degrees.

Jennifer and I have a third grandchild, born on Dec. 31, 2019, whom we have not seen, held, or kissed due to the COVID-19 Travel Restrictions.

The pull to visit our son and his family in Astoria, NY is strong, and we will have to figure out how best to travel to visit them in the very near future.

To the future,

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

jigmaster501

I am not too far from Astoria.... I work Sundays on the Capitol Princess that sails from Manhattan. We will start up again in about a month hopefully. If things are ok when you guys get here, maybe you could sneak out for a trip.....

With the lunacy here, it is best to wait it out to see if the Covid numbers spike after all the unrest. You don't want to come here if the numbers are bad... I drove military medical teams to NYC and surrounding hospitals. I parked the van and waited for them while they were in the hospital for hours on end sometimes. Several times I had to park near the refrigerated trucks where they held all the bodies. The way the city is, if the numbers go up, they will go up fast and hard.

Eugene

gstours

Thanks again Wayne for your pictures and
Write up.  Even up here folks pitch the fish and never remove the cheeks,  especially the charters.😫.
      Butt it's our little secret.   Safe them for a special treat.   You will remember your trip better to boot.
Another variation in grilling is to float the cheeks in garlic butter.   Mmmm.  With black pepper .
Here's another favorite of mine blackened cheeks,  fairy hot and chewy.    Mmm.