penn gs 545 rebuild by SpikeCB22

Started by alantani, April 01, 2009, 06:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

reposted with permission from http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/penn/93405-penn-gs545-rebuild.html  thanks!!!!!!!!!  alan

Quote from: SpikeCB22;889395This is my first tutorial, so any criticism is appreciated. Here's the reel:

Start with the left sideplate:

remove the screws and the ring

remove the "mushroom" on the right sideplate:

The spool should come off now:

I want to take off the clamp because it looks pretty wrecked:

I'll go the lazy way and throw it in a bag of corrosion x. The graphite clamp goes in the reel box:

Now for the right side:

It should come off in this order:

This metal ring is a little weird. you can remove the freespool switch, or just push it:

Now for dissection:

here's the whole mess:

Now to put it back together! First, some grease on the basic guts:

Make sure your reel is in gear by pulling out the eccentric so the pinion yoke can sit down in gear(it'll be important later on):

Main gear ratchet:

It's pretty easy to figure out which side goes up. One should be kinda shiny, the other's not. Next the fiber washer:

If I had a corresponding carbon fiber, I'd replace it. Next the gear box and the drag washers:

A little drag grease on all of them. It's easier to put this back together on the shaft:

It should go fiber, oval metal, fiber, eared metal, fiber, oval metal. Next comes the spring tension washer. You want it like a cone down:

Part #9(penn's part list doesn't name this, and I'm too lazy to pull up another one to see what it's called):

bearing:

Now for the sideplate. Make sure the eccentric lever or "freespool switch" is clicked forward, in gear:

Grease the inside of the ring. It should go back on the same way it came out. As for the screws, the shorter flatheads go at the top of the horseshoe, the phillips go at the ends:

Don't forget the two at the bottom:

Make sure to check that the freespool is working. Now for the handle assembly. First the star. Grease the inside a little and screw it on:

Don't forget the little washer:

The handle:

bolt:

and cap:

left side! I could do something with these bearings, but I'm not using this reel any time soon. Maybe later:

spool should pop back in(reel has to be in gear):

Pop on the sideplate. Grease the ring, flatheads go 12 and 6 o'clock, phillips screws 3 and 9.

There, now screw on the mushroom cap and you're done

I don't use this reel much because of the lack of power. I think the main gear material feels a little soft, so that may be affecting the crank. A good thing about it is that it's mostly graphite, so it's not necessary to grease all surfaces, and the metal parts are all shiny so it's easy to distinguish them. If you like the cast brake control on the left side of the spool(next to the clicker mechanism), you could clean it off, but I never really noticed it, so whatever.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ez2cdave

Quote from: SpikeCB22;889395This is my first tutorial, so any criticism is appreciated.

My only "criticism" is about the sharpness of the photographs ... Other than that, even years later, nice job !