Penn 113hlw upgrade question

Started by ky_sharker, June 10, 2020, 12:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky_sharker

The idea with the 80 pound leader is abrasion resistance. Wouldn't it still break at the knot though? I'm getting the Hawaiian wide frame so I might be spooling up with something different depending on cost and the fact that I bought a big spool of 30lb mono.
  According to a capacity calculator it should hold about 800 yards of 30lb mono 1200 yards of 100lb braid So correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't it compare to something in between a 114 and 115. I know it still has less drag and a higher gear ratio than original senators.

Benni3

4/0 power handle,,,,,, ;) not that expensive,,,but I found out the difference on amber jacks,,,,,,, ;D

RowdyW

First off, if you are going after sharks you will need at least 3-4 feet of steel leader (solid or braided) in front of the 80# mono leader. A shark can bite right through a mono leader. Second, if fishing for sharks in FL. you will need a shark license in addition to your out of state license. To get the shark license there will be a test. It seems you need to get a book on shark fishing from the beach to learn some of what is needed as far as terminal tackle, recomended rods & reels in addition to what else is needed. You can't compare a catfish to a shark no matter how big that cat is.      Rudy

ky_sharker

Quote from: RowdyW on June 11, 2020, 06:51:42 AM
First off, if you are going after sharks you will need at least 3-4 feet of steel leader (solid or braided) in front of the 80# mono leader. A shark can bite right through a mono leader. Second, if fishing for sharks in FL. you will need a shark license in addition to your out of state license. To get the shark license there will be a test. It seems you need to get a book on shark fishing from the beach to learn some of what is needed as far as terminal tackle, recomended rods & reels in addition to what else is needed. You can't compare a catfish to a shark no matter how big that cat is.      Rudy
I already have a couple rolls of leader one is lighter and the other is about 90lb I think I'll have to look when i get home. I know about the test and permit I'm planning on doing it this weekend. I've been doing alot of reading online and trying to learn as much as I can. I caught a couple small sharks years ago and your absolutely right there is no comparison between them and a catfish.

Benni3

Quote from: RowdyW on June 11, 2020, 06:51:42 AM
First off, if you are going after sharks you will need at least 3-4 feet of steel leader (solid or braided) in front of the 80# mono leader. A shark can bite right through a mono leader. Second, if fishing for sharks in FL. you will need a shark license in addition to your out of state license. To get the shark license there will be a test. It seems you need to get a book on shark fishing from the beach to learn some of what is needed as far as terminal tackle, recomended rods & reels in addition to what else is needed. You can't compare a catfish to a shark no matter how big that cat is.      Rudy

I have gotten 40to50lb cats and a 5ft shark and you can compare them,,,,, ;) there both a blast,,,,, :D Rudy is right the line set up is very important,,,!!!!!! I put 600yd 80lb braid on my 4/0's and for sharks 80lb top shot,,,then steal liter,,,,, :) the best thing about top shot is you can replace it cheap and the 4/0 your building is great for piers,,,,cattle boats and freshwater,,,, :D can't wait to see your first fish on it,,,,,,, ;D

Bryan Young

Honestly, for sharking as mentioned before, you should upgrade to a 114H (6/0) or 115L (9/0).

The 6/0 in stock form will be stronger than a semi-beefed up 4/0.

Of if you don't mind a Daiwa, a 600H.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wailua boy

I've been happy with my Hawaiian wide
(spooled with 50lb)but funny it has a bur in same spot but it quickly smoothed out.

Cuttyhunker

For the upgrade dough buy a 6/0 or 9/0 series reel, they're everywhere,  then you'll have two nice reels, and probably change in your pocket.  Find an ugly one with good guts even more change, and the fish won't care.
Doomed from childhood

Donnyboat

Yes I agree with the 6/0 & 9/0 suggestion, I`m not to sure how you fisho`s are measuring your line as you wind it onto the spool, , I brought a 500 M spool of 80 Lbs, 4 strand braid & when I placed it onto the solid chrome  6/0 spool it filled it right up, I did only wind it on manually, but I had plenty of pressure on it, & I have used it a few times & had it caught on  a reef, when I dragged it of the reef it did not cut into it self, I doubt, if a wide 4/0 would hold anymore than 450 M if that, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ky_sharker

Benni3 I'm a out to order 500 yards of 65 lb braid not sure how big of a top shot I'm going to go with yet I'll take advice on that. I've got #6 93lb wire and #06 58lb wire. If I should go bigger I'll pick it up when I get there. I've already caught a caught a small catfish 2 or 3 pounds with it. The rod is so heavy I thought it dropped the bait twice.

Bryan young someday I'm going to put together a legit shark setup but that'll be a while. 95% of the time this reel will be used in freshwater and I was thinking it could handle small to medium sharks. Hopefully by the next time I go to the coast the reel will be all the way beefed up. I know it's not the ideal setup but I guess my idea is I can fish a live or cut bait and  ot be completely screwed. What
Wailua boy that is funny. What kind of rod do you have it on?
Cuttyhunker it's to late my Hawaiian wide frame and spool will be here monday. I kinda keep an eye on ebay and I dont mind having an ugly reel one bit

RowdyW

In Hawaii they use those extra wide reels for casting from high cliffs for tuna with very long surf rods (14&15 ft.)

wailua boy

Ky_sharker
I usually strap it to a 12ft extra heavy nitro for shore casting and paddling out baits but I have put it on shorter poles and done some  trolling and bottom fishing. We usually target ulua but have caught  a few 6ft tigers, sandbar sharks and black tips with no problem.

Cuttyhunker

Maybe we need a 49A here and done.  Different generations but the fish not so much. Hell I'd love to have a 113 spooled by a pissed off any fish, story for a lifetime, But maybe we can land him..........
Doomed from childhood

ky_sharker

First what is a 49A? Second a big thanks to Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle. He had the frame shipped very very soon after payment and it got here two days before it was supposed to. If he hadn't pointed out the ding in it i probably wouldn't have even noticed it. Soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll post some

ky_sharker

Here it is. Line should be in today. 547 yards of 65lb braid and 200 yards of 60lb mono on top. Looks like tarpon and king mackerel are in the area this time of year so I should be able to catch something