Penn 113 hawaiian wide spool rubbing frame

Started by ky_sharker, June 16, 2020, 03:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky_sharker

It appears that under load my spool is rubbing on the frame on the right side. It seems to free spool fine and reels fine without load on it. I did read the post about grinding/vibration in a reel but my problem doesnt seem quite the same.

RowdyW

It's possible that the spool is slightly off center. You might have to shim the spool to center it. The spool is not supposed to be a tight fit. Adjust the left bearing so that there is about .005" side to side play of the spool.

ky_sharker

Quote from: RowdyW on June 16, 2020, 04:00:42 AM
It's possible that the spool is slightly off center. You might have to shim the spool to center it. The spool is not supposed to be a tight fit. Adjust the left bearing so that there is about .005" side to side play of the spool.
I've played with adjusting it some. How would I go about shimming it?

RowdyW

First determine how far off center your spool is. Then you will need to place a shim behind the bearing on the side that is rubbing. You could also try using a new bearing on that side first. Don't forget that you are using used plates that might be worn, warped, swollen, etc. I doubt that the problem is with the frame or spool. Custom parts sometimes need a little fitting to used or even new parts. Welcome to the world of customizing. Once you start down the rabbit hole there is no turning back.  ;D  Find an aluminum beer or soda can,drill a center clearence hole for the spool tip & trim it with a pair of scissors to the approximate diameter of the bearing. One should be enough. When you are done you will understand more about a 113h then if you only serviced it.

Bryan Young

If the spool is rubbing the frame and not the side plate or bridge, I would change the bearings. The axial tolerances of a bearing could be slight enough that under load, the spool would rub the frame. I have had that in several reels. All bearing were Abec 5 and the difference in tolerances was just enough to allow the spool to hit the frame while others did not.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 16, 2020, 06:36:17 AM
If the spool is rubbing the frame and not the side plate or bridge, I would change the bearings. The axial tolerances of a bearing could be slight enough that under load, the spool would rub the frame. I have had that in several reels. All bearing were Abec 5 and the difference in tolerances was just enough to allow the spool to hit the frame while others did not.
That's definitely a good advice and it might be all it needs.

Rudy also mentioned a good one.
Centering the spool is always important, at times it takes me a while to get it just right.
I'm not questioning you, but you might want to take another look at the centering first.

Not easy to see, but at times you could grab the spool while mounted and try to move it up and down while looking at where it meets the frame and see if you notice any movement.
If so, bearings will definitely need to go.

Reels with ball bearings don't need much lateral play with the spool as the ones with bushings do.

Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ky_sharker

Ok I'll check out the alignment of it first. Maybe when I get to Florida I can find a shop with bearings.
Yall feel free to question me. I know very little about repairing and customizing reels but I'm trying to learn. Is there a certain way to adjust the alignment?

Alto Mare

Quote from: ky_sharker on June 16, 2020, 01:32:37 PM
Ok I'll check out the alignment of it first. Maybe when I get to Florida I can find a shop with bearings.
Yall feel free to question me. I know very little about repairing and customizing reels but I'm trying to learn. Is there a certain way to adjust the alignment?
Most times I just check the lip on the spool and try to keep its reveal the same on both sides.
Every once in a while this doesn't work.
If you hold the reel vertical and give it a spin while in freespool and you don't hear any clicking you are set.
You weed to check the tail side and handle side while holding it vertically though.

Once you get used to fine tuning, you will enjoy it as you move along with your builds.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ky_sharker

Ok I'll play with it tonight. And see if it helps. It seems to free spool fine now though. I'm trying to find a shop in Florida that has bearings or can replace them because I couldn't get them out when I cleaned it

Donnyboat

Its important to get the bearings out, take the shields of, spray the bearing with carb cleaner, a couple of times, then grease it & replace the shield, if your having trouble getting the bearing out.
      squirt some acetone & auto transmission fluid 50/50 in behind the bearing, do that several times, over a 24 hours, then use a tight bit of dowel, keep placing paper towel inside the bearing, then tap it with the dowel, repeat that several times, add some water or lube in behind the bearing, it will eventually come out. good luck stay safe, keep well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ky_sharker

Quote from: Donnyboat on June 16, 2020, 05:22:22 PM
Its important to get the bearings out, take the shields of, spray the bearing with carb cleaner, a couple of times, then grease it & replace the shield, if your having trouble getting the bearing out.
      squirt some acetone & auto transmission fluid 50/50 in behind the bearing, do that several times, over a 24 hours, then use a tight bit of dowel, keep placing paper towel inside the bearing, then tap it with the dowel, repeat that several times, add some water or lube in behind the bearing, it will eventually come out. good luck stay safe, keep well, cheers Don.
The idea is that the pressure from dowel being tapped in pushes out the bearing? What is the paper towel for?

ky_sharker

I tried loosening everything up and adjusting the spool and it didn't help. I took a couple pics if that helps. Since I dont have bearings for it I haven't tried to take the old ones out I'm going to make some calls and see if someone can look at it when I get to FL and change the bearings. Thanks for all the help so far y'all!

Donnyboat

You force the paper towel in with the dowel, then wet the inside or under the bearing, the paper towel swells with moister, & forces the bearing out, you will see as you get enough towel in it & tap it with the dowel it will start to come out. you can do the same with thick grease, but that gets a bit messy,good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

By the way its a good idea, I dont claim it was mine, I learnt it on the forum here I think, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ky_sharker

That is genius! If I cant find someone to change them I'll definitely try that. I should have a punch about the right size.