Heddon & Sons 1929 rod and reel.....

Started by cdaline, June 21, 2020, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdaline

Too good not share...found on local sale. I really view this as
art. Now, if only I had a fireplace to display this artwork.  ;)
Cool piece of fishing history.

Looks like a Winona but listed as a "Speed Lock".

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/vfauq9i

oc1

I'd like to see that but can't make the imgur link work.
-steve

Donnyboat

Thanks Charles, great set up, yes mantle peice or man cave, Steve try agian, & give it plenty of time it should come up, you have to be a slow old prick like me, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

cdaline

Seeing this reel caused me to dig a little into Heddon history.... started
with lures, had others build their reels (then stamped with Heddon logo),
then for a brief window made their own reels. Looks to have been an
industry leader. I remember their cool ads as a boy...wish I had collected
all those catalogs.

Charles

oc1

That's not a Goite reel but it is made to cast like a Goite reel.  I've used them and they are not as weird as you might think.
-steve

cdaline

Thanks Steve.... the reel "Goite" is definitely a first cousin to this Heddon.
(or vice versus). The originators really tried to have form follow function.
What type of fishing would this be designed for... I guess Fly fishing ?

Thanks for sharing that photo.

Charles

happyhooker

Interesting--thanks for the posts.

Frank

oc1

Quote from: cdaline on June 22, 2020, 02:34:50 AM
What type of fishing would this be designed for... I guess Fly fishing ?
I think more for baitcasting Charles.  At least you would use a baitcasting or spinning rod.  You are casting a weight on light line like a spinner or baitcaster, not casting the line like a flyfisher would.

For me, it is most comfortable to have reel on top of the rod when casting and under the rod when retrieving.  The reel needs to be on top for casting so you can thumb the spool to prevent backlash.  With the reel under the rod it will be less top-heavy and you will be cranking it forward, not backward.  In adverts, they show them on a baitcasting rod with the drop-down reel seat .  The drop-down reel seat makes it easier to thumb the large spool when casting.  But, when you flip the drop-down reel seat upside down to retrieve that annoying trigger thing is in the way.

That line guide cast into the frame is to make sure the line goes onto the spool when retrieving.  But, the line guide also reduces casting distance.  I got better distance out of it by cutting off the line guide and putting a high-foot rod guide just 12 to 18 inches in front of the spool.  The up-close striper guide will make sure the line goes onto the spool when retrieving with less friction when casting.

Don't sell the concept short.  With a polished spool shaft and bushing you will get the distance you are accustomed to.  With the large diameter spool you will get a respectable IPT retrieve rate even though there are no multiplying gears.  For me, the major drawback is the ergonomics and coping with the large spool.  Compact, it Is not.

-steve

cdaline

Excellent Steve ! Thank you for taking the time to describe how these
reels work . I really like the aesthetic appeal of the reel. Obviously , much
thought went in to the design.... I don't know for sure , but it would seem
Fishermen had some input. Good stuff Steve... thanks for sharing your
experience.

Charles