Ambassadeur 5500 frame

Started by Swami805, June 21, 2020, 01:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I find my self peiring down another rabbit hole and juicing up an 5500 reel I used to use quite a bit. I'm looking to find a 1 piece frame so I can lose the level wind. does such a thing exist? Any idea where to find one. I checked out hedgehog and a few other sites but didn't see any frames.
Thanks and happy fathers day!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ReelFishingProblems

Here is a website I've drooled at a few times. They say they ship worldwide, but I haven't tried it.

AKS Superstore
https://akios-superstore.co./AKS-ABU-Fit-One-Piece-Aluminium-Cage

Nick

steelfish

this is the correct link

https://akios-superstore.co.uk/epages/eshop1251544.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1251544/Products/%22AKS%20CAGE%22

thanks for the link by the way, Im fan of the abu reels and this page is like magical place
The Baja Guy

Swami805

Thanks, now that is a rabbit hole. Thankfully they only have 2 sizes,nice stuff

RC4600

Another option to consider: Hookless.com usually has a conversion kit to make a CS into a CT w/o the levelwind. I have done a couple reels and it works well for $18? or so. RC

Swami805

Thanks I'll check that out, A bit more budget friendly too.

Swami805

Just a plug for hookless.com. I emailed them, the next morning Jerry called me and got me all set up and parts on the way. Nice man, super helpful,great place if you need Ambassadeur stuff. Pretty confusing with all the different models but he figured it out for me.
Thanks for the tip!

RC4600

Glad to help, I sure like my 6500 & 5000 w/o the level wind. One has a mag brake that I really like, probably should have done both of them. RC

Swami805

I got the parts from Jerry for a 4500c and 5500c. The 4500c works great, I left the level wind in and it has pretty good free spool for a level wind.
The 5500c is another story, I removed the level wind and added the bar and the free spool is no bueno even with new abtec 7 ceramic bearings. I fished that reel pretty hard and I think the frame is tweaked. It will still fish ok I guess but I think it's time to move on and replace it.
I've been browsing all that size on ebay and it's super confusing. Jerry suggested a 5500cs, a little too pricey.
Which models are good bang for the buck? I'm thinking made in Sweden, 3 stack drag with a bearing cap on both sides, no thumb rest and the  free spool lever thing in the side plate. Any ideas?

day0ne

A CT frame (or cage) has no levelwind.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter