Cool Tools by Benni

Started by foakes, June 25, 2020, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

When it's working right the shaving come off in long beautiful curls.  When it's not working right it just chatters and gouges the wood.
-s

oc1

Donnyboat

Steve you say if the wood is cooperative, that why you work with the grain, & not accross it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

I may have enough plans to qualify as an airfield
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

cool...  are you Amish? 
how'd you get to an Alabama island?
horse must be REALLY tired :)

Crow

No, I'm not Amish...if I was, these "hand tools" probably wouldn't be so "dusty" , from hanging on the wall, will I use the "power tools " ;D.

Alabama is only a "wintertime abode", the rest of the year, we are in Illinois..........doing yardwork  :'(
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on July 10, 2020, 05:57:14 AM
There are people who can date those Stanley planes.  It's a classic and has been around forever.  Back the adjustment screw out before assembling.  Search "Stanley wood plane parts" to get a schematic-like picture. 

In our junior high shop class Mr. Festus Smith made everyone become proficient with those.  It's really satisfying to use when everything is sharp and adjusted and the wood is cooperating.  But, it's like trying to get the stars to align.
-steve

Hell, when I started as a finish carpenter a 24" jack plane was main stay for hinging & hanging doors. I didn't step up to the electric Stanley & Porter Cable planers until the early '70s. Believe it or not, I can still remember cutting the fire cuts on ceiling joist with a rigging ax after the ceiling joist & rafters were installed.  ::) I've still got my old Plumb riggin ax. I use it every now and then, not for fire cuts but for chopping Mulberry saplings out of the fence line.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Brewcrafter

Looking at Crow's impressive selection I was wondering where he hid what I've always used to call a spokeshave or a drawknife...

Crow

There's spoke shave in the third pic, right below the cabinet scraper. I'll try to remember to get a pic of the wall that the drawknives are on , tomorrow. That stuff is all in my "upstairs shop", and with my back screwed up, I'm not getting up there, as often .

Crow

The drawknife without handles is one that went through a fire (the outbuilding I was using as a shop, burnt down) , I "re tempered" th blade...but, never have made new handles. The 'curved' , shorter, one....actually called an 'inshave", is one i made, myself, to "scoop out" chair seats. Since we have been "going south" , for our winters, I haven't done very much woodworking, as that was my "wintertime hobby". It looks like, with the Covid, we probably will be stuck here, this winter....so I'll, no doubt, start in , again.  Although, I do have a ton of reel projects I want to do, too.

Brewcrafter

Wow, I've never seen an "inshave" before, didn't even know they existed but thinking about how chairs are made it makes sense. - john

Benni3

This is one of my favorite tools,,,, ;) don't get to use it unless I'm doing car interior work,,,, :-\ $38 expensive but worth it and fun to use,,,, :D and it's got a cool name "hog pen tool",,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

We have some "regular" hog ring pliers.  The rings must be about an inch wide before it is squished together. I don't know why they are regular, but remember seeing huge over-size hog rings in upholstery; like two inches across.  We also have "crimp pliers" for little rings about half-inch or less to put wire mesh together.  They are shaped just like hog rings but for some reason they call them crimps.  Regular hog rings are for piercing the pig's nose.  It must be sensitive because it keeps the pig from rooting and making a mess of everything.  I guess there must be bull rings too because they can put a ring in a cow's nose.  You can lead it with a leash attached to the nose ring.  I used to think that was so weird and creepy but now you see people with rings in their nose.  I guess you could lead them around if they would sit still long enough to attach a leash.
-s

philaroman

just need a 2nd pair of hands
Quote from: oc1 on October 22, 2020, 05:26:07 AM
... if they would sit still long enough to attach a leash.
-s

w/ 2nd pair of hands, hold earlobe loops from behind...  if alone, put hipster bun in vise

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Benni3 on October 22, 2020, 04:01:28 AM
This is one of my favorite tools,,,, ;) don't get to use it unless I'm doing car interior work,,,, :-\ $38 expensive but worth it and fun to use,,,, :D and it's got a cool name "hog pen tool",,,,,,,,, ;D

I've got 10 pair of those. We used to use them to connect egg laying chicken cages together when 4 cages connected. We used ferrules where 2 connected. I still use them for multiple tasks like connecting my state required identification tag to my animal traps when fur trapping. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)