Machining question

Started by Rancanfish, June 26, 2020, 04:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

I was looking at Mo's 100 build where he is referring to the slots not being drilled far enough down.  So I was wondering since we are talking steel, not stainless, could we non machinists clamp the gear down and run a drill to deepen the slots?  Or are we going to have it jump all over?

It just seems so simple I might try it this weekend.  I'll be really challenged since I don't have the drill press table vise and will have a jerry rigged holder of some sort.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

xjchad

It depends on how rigid your drill press is.
You could do it (I have) if you it doesn't have much slop.
You need to use a correct size end mill though.  A standard drill bit will just jump all over and break.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Brewcrafter

For me the hot ticket has been a Dremel with the appropriate size/type/shape of tool and take it slow...-john

Rancanfish

Thank you gentlemen.  I may try to find an end mill bit of the right size.  And of course I'll try the Dremel too. 

I'll report back what I experience.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tiddlerbasher

For this type of machining a drill press is not ideal. The spindle will deflect to varying degrees, been there done that. A good quality end mill bit is an absolute must (a drill bit will flex/break) - my choice would be an HSS cobalt bit (of the right diameter). Slowly does it and have the gear clamped as close as possible to the bit. The further the spindle is out the greater the deflection. I would also go with cutting fluid/lubrication, I use rapeseed oil.

MarkT

We don't call it rapeseed oil, we call it canola oil!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RowdyW

Penn steel gears are heat treated steel which makes them to hard for a drill. Unless you use a carbide end mill I doubt you can mill the slot with a normal end mill. Good carbide end mills are not cheap and if everything is not held tightly and secure you will chip and ruin the end mill. A drill press will not work. Your best bet is to use a grinding stone in a dremel. It isn't going to be quick though.          Rudy

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on June 26, 2020, 07:16:28 PM
Your best bet is to use a grinding stone in a dremel. It isn't going to be quick though. 

At least you won't have to remove much material. Usually only a few thousandths will do. I've always been lucky enough to just bend the ears on the bottom eared washer upward a bit. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~