Is there an advantage to using aluminum side plates

Started by ky_sharker, June 30, 2020, 09:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky_sharker

Is it mostly looks or is there more to using them instead of stock bakelite plates

Swami805

They're stronger,maybe not that bid a deal in small reels but it is at high drag settings.  They also allow the use of ball bearings in a few models.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

I beleive on the later 113h &114H Cortez plates you can double dog them without any machine work except making your own second dog & spring. And the dogs anchor off of the bridge screws. They look like a professional custom too. I like them on all my personal Jigmaster 501,500/99,& 500 & Special Senators from 112h's to 115L's. It's only money.  :D

day0ne

They are said to dissipate heat better, i.e. ,drag heat.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

ky_sharker

Ok I was thinking about it at work today and wondering. I do love the way they look but they are kinda expensive. I guess once I get this spool rubbing issue fixed and upgrade everything else I'll go for the side plates. Then i can put all the old parts back together and have 2 reels lol

MarkT

The frame holds the sideplates in better alignment than the bars so you get better freespool and casting.  The sideplates are mostly to add bling... and be something else to get scratched up.  While they probably do better at dissapating heat, unless you have fish that are taking blistering runs and your drags are fading as a result, I doubt they really make any difference.  Depending on the reel you can end up with spool bearings in a bushing reel.  I've never bothered with sideplates.  If I want a totally metal frame/sideplated Penn I just get a ProGear!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ky_sharker

No my name isn't Sanchez but I guess I could get the dirty on the other plate and call my reel The Dirty Sanchez. I'll probably get a set of Cortez side plates at some point they do look really good but they will probably be the last mod