Drag upgrade for old Senator 4/0 113 Black

Started by Bubba.Gritz, July 01, 2020, 11:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba.Gritz

Ordered the 113H kit -- which obviously can't work, so hoping there's a HT100 kit for this old Black 4/0 reel (113? NOT 113H).

Three fiber washers in the main stack -- but bottom two are thick fiber or asbestos (?) washers.  Three metal washers, middle one keyed. 

What the best/recommended drag washer upgrade for this reel? I think this is the 113 Half Frame model.
http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/images/pennparts/schematics/113_half.pdf

I did search archives as I suspect this issue has been asked and answered, but couldn't find a kit or part number recommendation. 

Thanks, Joel (Hillsborough, NC)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3NZ6HzwPG3qTvu4o6

RowdyW

Go back to Mystic and order parts for a Senator 4/0 not a Special Senator. An even bigger inprovement is to use 5 drag washers from a Longbeach 60 or 65. You will also have to get 2 more keyed & 1 more eared washer to make a 5 stack.The LB washers are thinner then the 113 washers so you can stack more in the gear & increase total drag pressure.        Rudy

Brewcrafter

Joel - Ditto what Rudy said.  Really easy to upgrade a 113 with carbon fiber, or to even upgrade it further with a "5 stack" since carbon fiber and stainless metal washers are much thinner than the originals.  Mystic are great folks to go to, especially on the East Coast.  And while there are endless posts devoted to Drag Grease on the Forum, let me just say - when you get your new drags, they will work just fine dry, BUT - spend a little more and get drag grease and use it.  You will be happy you did.  And I'm sure there are plenty of folks that will take those 113H washers off your hands if you cannot use them...or, you can always start shopping for a 113H - it's kinda how this hobby works  :D - john

Bubba.Gritz

Thanks, John & Rudy.  Have talked with Mystic and hopefully got what I need.  I've got the drag grease ready to go!  I just work on reels for friends -- so intermittent hobby, and still encounter some of these older reels I haven't worked on before.  Thanks for the info & guidance. // Joel

nelz

Quote from: RowdyW on July 01, 2020, 11:48:19 PMAn even bigger inprovement is to use 5 drag washers from a Longbeach 60 or 65.

I did this and the result was fantastic! The deep main gear leaves plenty of room for this combination of disks. The drag turned out very smooth and powerful.

thorhammer

Joel, I'm Fuquay if you get jammed up on something. Where do you fish?

John

Bubba.Gritz

John -- bass fish to stay occupied, but when I can head to coast -- main "Crystal Coast" area around MHC/Beaufort/Cape Lookout.  Love to vertical jig offshore.  Been doing head boats like Capt Stacy (Atlantic Beach) and Carolina Princess (Morehead City), with the occasional charter.  Had jigging charter this past March w/Capt John Cawtherne -- 40 miles offshore and lots of big AJs.  Both the ocean (6ft swells) and fish kicked my butt, but loved it!  Tinker with reels and occasionally for friends -- usually to "barter" for fishing trips instead of cash!  What about you --where & what kind of fishing?  I use relatively low-end gear but so far it's been "good enough".  Jigging reel is a Daiwa BG 6500 on a Star Aerial 6' jigging rod and a Daiwa Seagate 35H on an Okuma Cedros 6ft H rod.  Used a Penn Battle 6000 but big AJs on a tight drag broke pinion gear (I assume because of the intense lateral torque from the spool shaft w/locked down drag!). 

thorhammer

mainly Wilmy but OBX on occasion. I have an Avet MX on that same cedros rod, nice set-up.

Gfish

Joel, if the 113H drag kit is an UPGRADE KIT, do you wanna sell it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!