114H 6/0 Narrow .......

Started by wideopenoutdoors, July 05, 2020, 02:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

Ok, So the 1/0 build is temporarily halted, I received a Tiburon 6/0 narrow frame and spool from SCRINCH here on the forum. I will put the 6/0 narrow to use more than the 1/0 so I am going to assemble it first. The frame is in great shape, with a few places missing the anodizing, but knowing how hard its going to get abused I'm ok with that. So far for this reel I have ordered, a stainless sleeve, SS AR dog, Cortez side plates (black), and a 7+1 drag stack. I already have a power handle for a 6/0 that i took off the wides, but I may order another one. A "stock" 6/0 will donate the rest of the necessary parts including the gears, I am happy with the combination of a SS gear and brass gear as it should run smooth.... 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, its my understanding that with the narrow a spool vs a wider spool the line builds up faster on the narrow spool which means you gain drag faster, and your effective ratio/ retrieve increases? and both of these give you more power? I choose to stick with the original low speed gears for even more power. This reel is going to be used almost exclusively for bottom fishing in 80-250ft for the usual snappers and groupers and to me power is more of a concern than speed. ( I am pushing the limits on my 4/0 as discussed on other threads).

Still undecided on whether to use braid and then mono or just go all monofilament. I think this reel will work best on a PENN international IGFA 30 rod, unless someone has a better suggestion.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

wideopenoutdoors

Some putting as seen.

Long Enuff

Sounds like a plan.  I did the same thing to a 4/0 with all stainless internals, including 4 to 1 gears. I use it for bottom fishing and went with the braid, no stretch and more sensitive to feeling bites in deep water. Good luck.

Swami805

Order 2 dogs, no big trick putting in the 2nd one, the plates were made to accept it.Order an extra dog spring too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Swami805 on July 05, 2020, 03:01:20 PM
Order 2 dogs, no big trick putting in the 2nd one, the plates were made to accept it.Order an extra dog spring too.

Thanks! I'll add it to my order when I get some drag grease. I'm going to do this build the correct way.

Is the TSI 301/321 really that good or will the Penn reel oil / lube suffice if I'm not trying to cast this reel?

Swami805

TSI 321 works really well to get bearings to spin well, better than oil.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

It's kind of hard to recommend a rod not knowing what lb test line you will fish. If braid backing we would need to know the lightest line lb test or what lbs of drag you will use on the reel.

day0ne

For bottom fishing, I use all braid with a short leader, especially in deeper water.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: SoCalAngler on July 05, 2020, 06:18:06 PM
It's kind of hard to recommend a rod not knowing what lb test line you will fish. If braid backing we would need to know the lightest line lb test or what lbs of drag you will use on the reel.

Good point, if I go with monofilament I will use 80#. If I go with braid it will be 150#. I'm not sure how much the 7+1 drag will put out, but I will have it locked nearly
all the way down.....

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: day0ne on July 05, 2020, 07:02:38 PM
For bottom fishing, I use all braid with a short leader, especially in deeper water.

I'm torn, the braid will be good for deep water especially when the current runs (I'm looking at you dry Tortuga's...) But I like the stretch of mono. Maybe 150# braid to 20? Feet of mono then the leader 3-6ft....

jurelometer

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on July 05, 2020, 02:39:53 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, its my understanding that with the narrow a spool vs a wider spool the line builds up faster on the narrow spool which means you gain drag faster, and your effective ratio/ retrieve increases? and both of these give you more power? I choose to stick with the original low speed gears for even more power. This reel is going to be used almost exclusively for bottom fishing in 80-250ft for the usual snappers and groupers and to me power is more of a concern than speed. ( I am pushing the limits on my 4/0 as discussed on other threads).

Given two hypothetical reels that are the same (including line capacity),  but one reel is tall and narrow, the other wide and shallow:

• the wide reel will cast better
  • the tall reel will retrieve more line per revolution as the spool fills.

Getting into more detail on the second point,  at the same drag clamping force, the fish  will have more leverage for the same yards  of line  on the spool with the taller reel. This means less drag.  On a lever drag, this means more lateral load on the bearings to achieve the same amount of drag.  On a star drag, the increased load will be on the dog/one-way bearing, or whatever clutch system you are using (and also the gears when you are winding).

The farther the line is from the center of the reel foot, the greater the leverage against the reel foot.  Wide is bad, but only as the line moves to the outside edges of the spool.  Tall is always bad.

"Powerful" is not a clear term for me.   The amount of energy exerted  to wind 10 yards of line against a specific amount of force will always be nearly identical.  With a taller spool, you will exert more energy per wind, but wil not have to wind as many revolutions.

Tall spools allow you to retrieve more line per handle revolution when you have less line out, but with a lot of line out, you will retrieve less line per revolution, but will need less force to turn the handle.   If these characteristics suits your fishing,  then a tall reel will work better.

-J

Maxed Out

I'm no expert on rods, but I can recommend that you only use stock 114h sideplates with this tiburon kit. The inner chrome rings will give tighter spool tolerance
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 05, 2020, 07:30:52 PM

I'm no expert on rods, but I can recommend that you only use stock 114h sideplates with this tiburon kit. The inner chrome rings will give tighter spool tolerance

My apologies, I didn't include that this frame doesn't have the relief to hold the side plate instead of using the chrome ring.

Ron Jones

First, Ted is being modest when he says he isn't an expert.
Second, as much as I love narrow reels for most applications, fishing with Ted in deep water has shown me that wide reels have a place. If you are bottom fishing, a wide reel with high capacity keeps the outside diameter of the spooled line larger (I hope that makes sense,) providing a higher rate of retrieve and higher drag numbers. Unless you are really jigging hard, the extra weight isn't that big of a deal compared to if you were casting.

I'd load your narrow reel with braid in order to keep the line as close to the top of the spool as possible for dropping deep.

Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Benni3

I think you're on the right track for Florida head boats,,,,, ;) most there just use 4/0's with 30wt rods,,,,, :) triggers,,vermillion snapper,,,black bass and how deep will you be fishing,,,,,, ;D