114H 6/0 Narrow .......

Started by wideopenoutdoors, July 05, 2020, 02:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I think that I gave you the wrong dimentions. I gave you specs for a 113h. The 114h stack height is .543 . So you have to make up .070 more on top of the drag stack with a combo of keyed washers. A cf drag washer does not make a good spacer. Use metal.

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: RowdyW on July 19, 2020, 10:01:12 PM
I think that I gave you the wrong dimentions. I gave you specs for a 113h. The 114h stack height is .543 . So you have to make up .070 more on top of the drag stack with a combo of keyed washers. A cf drag washer does not make a good spacer. Use metal.

I was thinking about a pair of cf and metal washers... 8 stack  anyone? However, I have a washer from another reel I can use.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

RowdyW

It can't be an 8 stack unless you can get another eared washer on top of another cf washer & all down into the main gear & another cf & a keyed on top of it all. It will not even come close to fitting. The stack has to be an odd number. 5,7 9, etc.

wideopenoutdoors

So we reassembled the reel tonight. Right off the bat we noticed that the grooves in the main gear for the eared washer were not milled deep enough for this drag stack
Meaning, the carbon fiber washer under the first eared one sat below the cut out, so when the eared washer sat on it the ears held it up and no pressure was applied to be bottom 2 CF and the 1 Keyed washer, probably what was wrong.. As indicated by a eared washer with the ears bent.....

Everything installed easy once we swapped the order of the eared vs keyed. I added a thick washer below the bellville, however, once assembled i had to pull line and reel a few times to get drag beyond a few pounds. This was with the wheel all the way down. Then it started working correctly, the first 1/2-3/4 turn of the drum (1ft of line pulled) the drag was low and ramped up to full drag quickly (I couldn't hardly pull anymore line). Is this typical of a greased drag stack? I have Never had a greased stack.....

RowdyW

What is the order of all the washers starting in the bottom of the gear. I don't understand the swapping around.

Swami805

The picture you show previously had the drag washers in the correct order. You might need a thicker CF washer on the bottom of the stack to get the eared washer to seat, a penn HT100 stock washer might work if you have one.
The drag shouldn't get progressively harder as you pull line off,it should be pretty consistent.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RowdyW

The CF washers in the 7+1 kit are original 114h cf washers. Only the metals are thinner. There are three ways to solve the shallow groove problem. One way is to double up on the first CF washer or two take the top thick keyed washer & use it as the first keyed washer or three grind the groove deeper down.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on July 21, 2020, 01:53:43 AM
The picture you show previously had the drag washers in the correct order. You might need a thicker CF washer on the bottom of the stack to get the eared washer to seat, a penn HT100 stock washer might work if you have one.
The drag shouldn't get progressively harder as you pull line off,it should be pretty consistent.
Good solid advice Sheridan 👍
By the time he gets to his fourth eared washer, he should be ok.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Typing at the same time Rudy.
Yes, adding 2 carbon fiber washers will also do it.

He should do just fine, you guys are guiding to a good direction with different options👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wideopenoutdoors

Update on the reel.....

After rebuilding it and taking my time I finally got back out on Saturday. And it didn't work....  :-[ with the drag star all the way down as tight as two people could turn it would barely hold the spool steady if I picked up on the rod tip with a 8oz weight at the end of 100ft of mono...
I'm not sure what it could be. My dad thinks it's the drag grease "why would you grease a brake". Could i have toomuch??? I'll set my go pro up and record me taking it apart and rebuilding it.

Rancanfish

Sounds like the drag stack is still wrong.  Can you see the spacer sticking out of the side plate under the drag star when backed off?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

Yup, check your drag stack, sometimes the washers fall out when your putting it together and the eared washer comes out of the slot especially if the top keyed washers sits above the top of the gear.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

You grease a brake because you don't want the brake to be sticky when it starts to turn. The drag stack has to be wrong, there are millions of reels with greased drags.
Good luck,
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

I agree with Swami, the top eared washer is on top of the gear & not in the groove.