Pegasus fisherman’s landing trip July 14 2020 1.5 day bluefin tuna

Started by Hamachi, July 09, 2020, 08:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamachi

Let's go! Signed up with my son and some of his friends. Open party limited load 18 people. So far we have half the boat. Let's fill it up with Ohana. Small school sized yellowtail all the way to super cow bluefin possible!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Hamachi

Thanks, Tim, we're going to need it! I've just been informed we've been upgraded to the Islander, nicer everything all the way around, costs more too! All the boats got limits sunday, but today(Monday) some of the boats ran into the larger 80 plus pounders and farmed most of them as everyone was using lighter line. Hopefully it holds up for us, but you know how that goes, you should've been here yesterday!

Swami805

You should do good, lots of coverage so a good idea of where the fish are and a couple days of less boat traffic so they'll settle down a bit. Hope you get some!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sciaenops

Wow the Islander that IS an upgrade. I love that boat, cap & crew. A few of us have gone on their Izorline sponsored Aug trip, usually the week before Labor Day. Prob have to miss it this year.

Wish I could go. Good luck!

Keith Maruya

Hamachi

Thanks for the words Sheridan, hope I have the right gear.

Keith, is Jason still captain? Haven't been on the Islander in a few years.

Last time I checked 15 spots open, 31 max. Bring your own pillow and blanket.
Staterooms are better than open bunk room I think?

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sciaenops

Warren-

John Conniff is the owner-skipper has been since ~2000. No nonsense will go the xtra mile one of the best around imo. Staterooms are snug like most boats but definitely a step up from the bunk room. Will join you on a future trip.

Keith

Porthos

Quote from: Hamachi on July 14, 2020, 04:54:27 AM...hope I have the right gear...

Really, Warren? You? Right Gear?

Sensing that you are trying to find a new excuse to expand that Newell collection...

Hamachi

Ended up with (2) bluefin, biggest one went 36 pounds, son got a yellowfin. Wes, also battled a bluefin for over 3 1/2 hours on a Newell g235 with fresh 25 pound line with the help from the deckhands, epic battle, I'm sure he'll remember for the rest of his life. It surfaced several times, never really got into a pattern and was lost close to gaff. If we had a dart we might've had a chance. Estimated at well over 100 pounds.

Hamachi

Yeah, straight mono. About 300 yards maybe a little less fits on there. His seaguar gold #30 leader got all nicked up top to bottom, so I quickly clipped it off in the middle of the stop. I had to borrow the 30 cause all I had was 20,40 and 50. We were going to fix it later. Woops! Might never have got it in anyways, but we'll never know.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hamachi

My friend Ben Taguchi wanted to sell his Newells to me. After watching my son battle on that g235 he changed his tune. He said he changed his mind and wanted to know more about modifying them. Lol! Everybody was asking about drag modifications and handle upgrades. I said go to Alan tani. They wrote it down.

sciaenops

Masochists! Unless you have a 2-spd conversion up your sleeve ha!

How did you like the boat/crew?

Keith