Centaure Pacific Disassembly Issues

Started by MeanMachine, July 11, 2020, 09:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMachine

Hope everyone is staying safe and keeping away from Covid 19.  I have a old Centaure Pacific spinning reel.  I'm trying to remove the rotor to service the bearing and its not working for me.  I've applied penetrating oil and waited several days, Tried jamming the main gear with wood objects (clothes pins, chopsticks, popsicle sticks).  The main nut on the rotor came off in the clockwise direction so the rotor has to come off the same way. Am I missing something? 

Also the spool has an aluminum piece under it that unscrews?  I'm unable to remove that piece also.  It looks like it may be part of the spool so I'm not sure?

I do not have a schematic for the reel.  Thanks for all your help!

foakes

Hi Damian --

I am on the road for a few days -- and not in the shop.

There are a few of those in the shop -- and can't recall for sure, but (2) possibilities --

Under the grease in the pinion casing -- see if there is a "U" keeper clip on top of the pinion that holds it in place.

Or, screw the handle, main gear, and sideplate back in place -- and while holding the crank -- try to unscrew the rotor from the pinion gear.  The A/R will help to hold the pinion from rotating.

I get these mixed up with Luxors -- and don't work on either too often.

Let us know if this works or not.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MeanMachine

I didn't see a retainer in there.  I tried the reassembly method and it didn't break free. The thread on that gear unscrews in the clockwise direction.  I also removed the bail trip.  I figured that it may have something underneath but no dice.  I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks Fred.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

MeanMachine

Thanks OldManJoe,
I made copies of that schematic and saved to my computer. Helpful and interesting discussion on Stripers online forum.   I will try again this after lunch.  It shows the bearings in the schematic.  I have a couple of spools so I'll try to see if I can get that moving also.
Damian

Midway Tommy

I haven't been into a Pacific for a really long time. Once you've gotten the grease cleaned off of, and around, the pinion was there a small hole in it? If so stick a small Phillips or punch in the hole to hold it from rotating and unscrew it, reverse threads. Usually the anti-reverse ratchet gear will handle the issue but if the gear's been removed this will work. It may be a similar process to this one.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MeanMachine

Hi Tommy,

Looks like after removing the stud actuator for the bail that hole is able to access the gears of the rotor. 
I'm wondering if I put a flat screwdriver between the gear teeth and apply a little pressure it might free it up.  I removed the front plate spring from under the spool. Some of the washers were missing also.

I've attached the schematic I obtained with help fromOldManJoe over the internet for you to be able to see. 

Thanks for all your help!!

Damian

Midway Tommy

QuoteI'm wondering if I put a flat screwdriver between the gear teeth and apply a little pressure it might free it up.

I wouldn't try that. Break a tooth and you'll throw the reel away. Parts for those are impossible to find. If there is no hole in the pinion to block it you should reinstall the main gear and anti-reverse mechanism and put that much back together to block rotation of the pinion. You may need to reinstall the main shaft & oscillation block if there is play and the A/R won't hold. Then try to unscrew the rotor from the pinion.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

MeanMachine

Amazing how the spools are almost identical to that one you worked on.  It looks like they should be a hole on that pinion gear, since there is a separation of the teeth on that pinion gear.   I will try that procedure tomorrow.  I have it soaking with deep creep.  Thanks again for your assistance.

Damian