Tyrnos 16II vs oooollld TLD 20

Started by YnR, July 16, 2020, 02:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YnR

Which would you choose for trolling for mahi, blackin tuna, wahoo (occasionally get a big one)?  I bought 2 Tyrnos 16IIs that have been sitting in a box unused so they have the original drag washers.  The two TLD 20s are very old but in very good condition as far as I can tell without opening it up and have been recently serviced.  I'm not sure exactly how old they are but they say "TRITON TLD 20" on the top bar, the handle is different than the current one, and the reel clamp is all metal.  They both seem like good options but I only need one or the other.

alantani

if the tld 20's are two speed reels, then both should fish 50 pound with no problem.  60 pound would be pushing. 

and welcome!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

YnR

boon

The Tyrnos every time. The single-speed TLD is a dinosaur. Doing the anti-reverse off the drive gear instead of the pinion, on a lever drag reel, is a very antiquated design, and these reels chew up pinion bearings like they're going out of fashion when run at braid-worthy levels of drag.

Hamachi

I don't know, but I see a lot of tld's  trolling on the back of partyboats In San Diego. Last year a deckhand was on one knee in the bow fighting a large bluefin on a single speed 25, he said it's his favorite reel. At first I thought he was joking, but he wasn't.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!