Fishing Over 1000 Feet

Started by Hardy Boy, July 16, 2020, 05:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnyboat

Good interesting post Todd, what are you using for weights, some over here use house bricks, with very light line around them, when they get to the bottom, they give it a quick jerk, & the light line snaps of, others use 1 1/2 inch or two inch steel pipe, cut it to length on a 45 degree angle, then the next cut square, & so on, drill a hole through the top of the pipe to ty the leeder to, others do the same with PVC pipe, & use cement, cheaper than buying lead, just wondering, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Brewcrafter

Todd, love to see your reports when you're getting out.  Kinda shocked that the last report didn't have your usual "oh and by the way picked up a couple of salmon on the way back to the dock"  :D - john

Hardy Boy

John: I guess fishing cant always be good ??

Donny: I'm using some round leads and some I poured in large copper pipe. I'm usually fishing 1.5 or 2.0 pounds. We have a max weight of 1 kg allowed here. Where I'm fishing the bottom is mud and or at least soft gravel , that is the habitat where Blk cod live, so hangups are not much of an issue.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Maxed Out

I always thought 1,000 grams is the heaviest allowed in BC for bottom fishing. How many ounces is a kg ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Hardy Boy

Ted: 1000 gr is 1.0 kg which equals 2.205 lbs or 35.27 oz................ I made some leads just over 2 lbs. Not sure if any officer would weigh your lead but better safe than sorry !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

whalebreath

QuoteWhere I'm fishing the bottom is mud and or at least soft gravel
Is that how you avoid Yelloweye?

They were just short of a plague both trips up there.

Hardy Boy

Not one yelloweye yet. Actually only the one rockfish (red banded). The spots I'm finding the blk. cod are flat. Must be a combo of the substrate and the depth. I really liked 240 to 300 feet when we could keep yelloweye.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

This year we are restricted to no retention of yellow eye,  any angler fishing now for halibut or rockfish must have a bottomfish release devise and release the non retained fish back to minimum 100 feet to keep them from dying from the inflated air bladder.
   Blackcod might be my only Britespot on the horizon.  we have no restrictions yet with the weight ,  nobody really target them here,  and I know nothing much about where they are except in feb and march there is a longline fishery in the area.  Thanks and good luck.

Hardy Boy

Took a buddy and his son out as he wanted to see deep drop blk. cod. Had some nice fish at 350 meters. Nice thing was only one dogfish for 10 blk. cod bites. Maybe the time of year. The grade of fish seemed a bit bigger also..... still learning this game so time will tell. Beautiful flat calm day.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Brewcrafter

Nice haul!  There are a couple there that are almost as tall as the boy! - john

Donnyboat

Nice picture there Todd, did the young fella, go out with you, good memories, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Hardy Boy

Don: Yes he came along. He is my buddies son and he likes going on the boat.; jigging rock fish is his favorite but he enjoyed watching the rod tip for the deep drop bites and he "helped" hold the rod on the retrieve and he helped load and carry the fish. Fun day.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

Looks like you are getting deep drop dialed in! Good fishing, those are lunkers.

Curious what a fillet of the cod looks like.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

Small tides (4 foot change) on Sunday and a weather opportunity to get out for a deep drop. went to my spot and had some success. I got four nice ones and let one go in a couple of hours. The best part was no dogfish. You can see on the reel I was fishing 350 meters or so. The timer says 5 mins, I took the pic shorty after contact so it takes 4 mins in free spool to get to the bottom. Light smoke and grilled on the grill.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Hardy Boy

rest of the pics.

Todd
Todd