Newell S338-5

Started by Riy2018, July 17, 2020, 05:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riy2018

Good Day Gurus,
I never had Newell before. first time got Newell S338-5.
when I received reel I realized that the additional screw on left side l.
Can some one explain what is the purpose of that.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Riy2018

I was able only to remove right side but left side is not removable.
also the left side has unknown screw and inside is only nut attached.
I will try to make more pictures.

Newell Nut

Somebody messed up something in that reel. That odd screw is a weekend warrior fix for something somebody broke. Buyer beware of things like that. Good Luck.

Dwight

Riy2018

thank you.
how to remove the screws on left side?

Swami805

Those screws go all the way thru the frame. Likely some corrosion inside so soak them with some kind of penetrating oil, I like a 50/50 mix of transmission oil and acetone but whatever you have. Tap them out gently to get them started but be careful if you plan to reuse them, replacements are hard to find
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sabaman1

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 18, 2020, 09:56:34 AM
Somebody messed up something in that reel. That odd screw is a weekend warrior fix for something somebody broke. Buyer beware of things like that. Good Luck.

Dwight are the S models the only ones with the threaded rods?
JIM

Swami805

The C's and some no letters have threaded rods too.

Riy2018

I soaked first in W-40 for night and the few drops of brake fluid bit long screw still there. since I dont have replacement side plate Im keeping  all in place.
I have question regarding plastic clicker? is it reliable? - I saw one replacement from Cortez Newell Reel Clicker Kit
Price$15.0. has anyone installed? does it make sense to remove original>

Swami805

If you use the clicker alot keep the plastic one. The cortez conversion clicker is very nice but your spool has a plastic click gear so over time it could wear it out

Riy2018

Good Day,
Thank you for information. It is a first time Im going to use Newell Reels for fishing.
I like Penn 500 and Daiwa Slosh, never failed.

Swami805

You'll like like Newell then, not a lot of moving parts. So what's the story with that screw? Can you post a picture of what's inside there? Is it just a screw stuck in the side?

Riy2018

this is very funny.
screw attached to washer and inside nut to hold nothing.  ;D

I think that the previous owner made it by purpose. if it is stolen and visible identification mark.
I will remove it and use black epoxy.

I saw in past Penn reels with engravings

sabaman1

Maybe the previous owner tried to mag the reel.
JIM

Swami805

Hard to mag a reel with a plastic spool. Maybe there's something glue on the side of the spool?  Should cast and fish just fine