Penn International 12W free spool

Started by fishhead69, July 19, 2020, 12:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhead69

I have a Penn International 12 that does not free spool. After taking it apart it only had 2 disc clutch springs which are belleville washers. The schematic calls for 4 disc clutch springs. I put in the 4 disc clutch springs and it was the same problem. There was no free spool to speak of with 2 or 4 disc clutch springs. I know you can put those disc clutch springs in with different sequences and it seems like every way you put them in there is still no free spool. I changed the spool and put an Accurate frame on and it worked exactly the same. Without spending all day I thought one of you experts might know what the problem is. Is it maybe the side plate is warped or something?

Thanks for any help Paul

fishhead69

After taking the reel apart several times it looks like the issue is with the 253-12 Bearing, Thrust Bearing 2 Pc. which is no longer available thru Mystic parts and the 141-6 Cam Follower. That is the only thing that I can see could be the problem since the bearings are definitely good 55-6 Bearing, Ball Bearing. What do you guys think?

thorhammer

I have two 12T's needing same bearing so if you find a sub please post.

John

David Hall

The bearings may not be available from Penn or Mystic but I'll bet Boca has them that will fit.

josa1

See Alan's post on bearings.  You may be able to disassemble this one, clean it, lube with one of the great bearing oils, and put it back in service much better than when new.

If that doesn't happen you can also measure the bearing as instructed and find a suitable replacement.

I have a 12T that has pretty much been archived, but I remember that it has decent free spool.

Good luck!

ReelFishingProblems

Trying to get thrust bearing washers are proving to be tricky.
I looked at McMasters-Carr and didn't see any exact replacements. My original International 12 is missing 1 and I would like to replace them all. My 12T luckily still has the originals and they are in okay shape. They are different size thrust bearing washers, so I have two problems on my hands.

I have an alert set up on the auction site in case any become available.

Nick

Swami805

Might try Cal Sheets, he's worked on so many of those I bet he has a stash.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

fishhead69

The spool bearings are all good. I cleaned them and used special bearing oil and they spin like a top. I need the atypical thrust bearing and cam follower. Cal Sheets might have them in stock.

fishhead69

I picked up some disc clutch springs at Hank's Ace Hardware in Temecula. They have the largest supply of nuts, bolts and washers that I have ever seen before.

fishhead69

I got the reel to free spool a lot better. It needed a special spacer washer that I got at Hank's hardware that goes underneath the disc clutch springs (belleville washers) Penn part number 18-6 which they don't sell and they are not on the schematic from Mystic parts. Again I got these special washers from Hank's hardware. According to Cal Sheets these reels don't have any free spool to speak of stock from Penn.

ReelFishingProblems

Did the Belleville's you picked up fit without issue?

Also, what is the special spacer you picked up? Can you post a picture?

Thanks

Nick

fishhead69

Yes the belleville washers fit with no issues and the spacer I used was a nylon washer with the same OD and ID as the belleville washer but flat. I will have to figure out how to post pictures since I have never posted any pictures before on this site.

ReelFishingProblems