Yamaha Marine Grease

Started by bhamlin52, July 20, 2020, 08:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhamlin52

I live near Lake St. Clair in Michigan. Is there anybody here that lives in this area that can tell me where to get Yamaha Marine Grease? I don't want to order online as the shipping is 7-8 bucks. My reels are Penn 209's.

RowdyW

Is there a Yamaha motorcycle dealer near you? They usually carry it.       Rudy

bhamlin52

Yes. I've contacted a couple and haven't gotten a reply yet.

MarkT

You tried places that service Yamaha outboards?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Are you fishing in a lot of saltwater there? If not a so called marine grease may not be needed. Most marine greases add a so called salt prohibiter to there grease and in most cases are ,"stickier". In freshwater most grease will work about the same unless there is a true need to keep salt out.

Don't overthink this stuff, grease vs no grease, yep grease wins. Lubing spool bearings always works better for freespool than grease. But any protective measure is better than nothing.

Now when you enter a saltwater environment things do change, but not by a whole lot, unless you don't have your reels serviced for years.

bhamlin52

The only salt here is in salt shakers. I may just use Lucas Marine grease as it's available.

Gobi King

bhamlin,
I was out in fishing at the DNR launch at Selfridge Base couple of weeks back,
I have an extra, I had to order it online, call you local marine shop they will be get it for you.
If you come out to the west side, you can pick one up from my stash.
But you can use any marine grease, I found pepboys has peak synthetic marine grease, that should work too.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Fish-aholic

I have read from a Penn employee via stripersonline how Penn can void warranties if Penn reel grease has been replaced for other marine grease products. Thought I'd mention it considering many here like to do a pre-maintenance service before fishing new reels.

Benni3

Quote from: bhamlin52 on July 21, 2020, 06:11:34 AM
The only salt here is in salt shakers. I may just use Lucas Marine grease as it's available.

I asked alan about lucas marine grease and he said it should be fine,,,,, ;) so I cleaned out the Penn grease and put that in the 706,,,, :D I think it's better and with a couple of drops of slick 50,,,,, :o wow,,,,,,,,,,, ;D

bhamlin52

Which Slick 50 product did you use? How much Slick 50 to how much Grease?

Sounds interesting.

akfish

Yamaha grease is fine, but I prefer Penn blue grease. I's not as sticky, which I like, and after using it for several years, I am convinced it protects well. Cal's Drag grease can be used in any place grease is appropriate as well. It's expensive but if you are just doing a few reels that doesn't really matter.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Benni3

Quote from: bhamlin52 on July 23, 2020, 11:56:44 AM
Which Slick 50 product did you use? How much Slick 50 to how much Grease?

Sounds interesting.

That was just a little experiment,,,,,,, :) the slick 50 motor oil additive is great for knifes,,,,, :D but the experts here know best,,,if you read some posts about grease viscosity,,,, ;) they got some tricks,,,,,,, ;D

philaroman

great for knives, how?  ...with/instead of honing oil?  thks

Benni3

Quote from: philaroman on July 24, 2020, 03:55:51 AM
I got some old 1940's Italians and they just flip out quicker,,,,, ;)

Gobi King

Quote from: philaroman on July 24, 2020, 03:55:51 AM

what is mentioned was illegal in MI for the longest time  ::)

Not sure if we still have state which don't like them.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan